Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 27 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2955 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Hood wrote:
The dorsal designs could not meet even the minimum range specifications.
Gee I wonder why :P
Quote:
I'm not sure what the engines would have been, the nacelles don't match the Vipers of the civil version, nor the later Garrett turbofans.
I'd be willing to bet they're Tays, as fitted on Gulfstreams of the era.
Judah14 wrote:
If this was actually built, the E-2 Hawkeye would have a competitor in international sales, if it gets exported.
Well there's the whole line of arguing that came but they probably would've bought the one up for consideration, which had front/aft radar sets and looked as literally as a flying pig as perhaps any fixed-wing airplane ever got.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 8:58 pm
MihoshiK wrote:
No Rhade, that's the reason why it would sell anyway. Don't be dense.
The plane that could not meet it's own specifications don't go on assembly line at first place MihoshiK.
That's why nobody would buy it. If you want to buy a car I don't offer you a bike.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Rhade wrote:
MihoshiK wrote:
No Rhade, that's the reason why it would sell anyway. Don't be dense.
The plane that could not meet it's own specifications don't go on assembly line at first place MihoshiK.
That's why nobody would buy it. If you want to buy a car I don't offer you a bike.
[ img ]

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 3:46 am
If this AEW HS.125 did not meet the range specifications,what else airframe could be used,staying British?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 6:14 am
They had another version of the HS.125 airframe that...oh, I think it's time to just put up a picture:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 6:34 am
The country that gave us the Spitfire, Lightning, and Canberra just thought it was time for a good joke! Yikes that thing is ugly :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 9:08 am
That's actually one of the better Blackburn B.139 plans I've seen with some nice details. I might add this to my worklist if no-one else wants to claim it.
During the 1964 timeframe work was ongoing with joint Anglo-French designs since both navies had similar needs. Eventually the French brought the E-2 because there was nothing else and no real economic sense to develop a bespoke system and aircraft for a handful of aircraft. Exports are not likely at all, by this period most of the ex-RN Colossus and Majestic classes in NATO and allied service had been retired or were firmly dedicated to ASW. Nations like Argentina could never have afforded a complicated aircraft like this and the security concerns would also have killed it. It's an interesting insight into cheapness but not totally practical.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 10:17 am
Love this thread!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm
[ img ]
A Hawker Siddeley HS.136 Series 100 feederliner in British European Airways service circa 1971.

The Hawker Siddeley HS.136 first began to take shape in 1964 at Hatfield (the former de Havilland design office) powered by two RB.172 engines but by 1967 had grown and featured the new Rolls-Royce three-shaft RB.203 Trent engine of 9,730lb thrust (not the same Trent as we know today). Design studies ended in 1968. By then the 136 had grown from seating 40 at four-abreast to 93 at six-abreast in its Series-200 design. If the design had gone ahead a first flight was planned for 1969/70 with entry into service in 1971. It would have been marketed against the BAC 1-11. It was competing internally against the Hawker Siddeley (Manchester) HS.860 and eventually the HS.136 and HS.860 were combined to form the HS.144. This project too remained firmly on the drawing board, partly due to the 1971 bankruptcy of Rolls-Royce.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

Last edited by Hood on October 15th, 2016, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 28th, 2013, 1:09 pm
Love the BEA colours. An extemely fine drawing, not surprising it lost out to the best looking British civil aircraft ever the BAC 111. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 27 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2955 »

Jump to: