Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 512 »
sabotage181
Post subject: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 1:11 am
hello all, I am going to attempt to draw my cruiser in shipbucket fashion. I have visualized this cruiser for a long time, and have gone through many styles and layouts since its inception. I "draw" my pictures with MSpaint using copy and paste, and free hand drawing and blending. My original goal was to make pictures of something that does not exist and that look like someone actually snapped the picture. CGI is very cool but I was looking for something different. I want someone to see my pictures and think they are looking at a real picture, not thing "wow, cool CGI". I think I accomplished that goal fairly well. Along the way, I became VERY INTERESTED In the ship it self. I started reading about modern naval technology. I delved deeply into the whole CGN-42, CSGN, CGBL, Long beach conversion and anything else I could read on these ships. I wanted to see a new cruiser with modern technology, so I headed down the road that led me to the version of my CSGN that I display here now. In my younger days I served aboard the USS Virginia CGN-38 as a AN/SPS 48C(V) tech. Such a shame that the Virginia never got the full NTU. Of course if she had, I would have never served on her. I liked many features of the Virginia, such as the split deck houses. Good for battle damage, and I tried to emulate this with my cruiser. I've named my ship CSGN 138. This also paying tribute to the Virginia, However I've never actually properly named her.

Anyway, enough with the BLAH BAH DE BLAH. lets get down to BIDness.

My ship is somewhere between 750 to 800 feet in length. 75 to 80 feet in beam and most likely right around 30 feet draft
I would like my cruiser to be all electric, including propulsion
Power, as discussed in the WIKI article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CG(X)
Will be two Aircraft carrier reactors de-rated by half
emergency power will be provided by gas-turbine generators

Sensors will include
AN/SPY-1B(V) with built in room for upgrades
also designed for back fit of SPY-3 and AMDR
AN/SPS-49 air search radar
AN/SPG-62 fire control radar
AN/SPS-73 surface search radar
AN/SPQ-9 gun fire control radar
AN/SQQ-89(V)1/3 - A(V)15 Sonar suite, consisting of
AN/SQS-53B/C/D active sonar
AN/SQR-19 TACTAS, AN/SQR-19B ITASS, & MFTA passive sonar
AN/SQQ-28 light airborne multi-purpose system
AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare Suite

armament
4 × 61 cell Mk 41 vertical launch systems
Built with expansion/upgrade in mind
2 x 8"/55 caliber Mark 71 gun
8× RGM-84 Harpoon missiles
4 × 25 mm Mk 38 gun
4-8 × .50 cal (12.7 mm) gun
4 × Phalanx CIWS Block 1B
2 × Mk 32 12.75 in (324 mm) triple torpedo tubes for lightweight torpedoes

aircraft carried
4 × Sikorsky SH-60B or MH-60R Seahawk LAMPS III helicopters

these are the pictures I drew with MSPaint. One is the nuke the other is conventional that I drew just for fun

[ img ]

[ img ]

this is the start of my ship bucket drawing. at the moment I am using photobucket so it resizes them. I am currently investigating other places that host and don't resize

[ img ]

I know this has lots of mistakes and I will make everything right, with you all's help, as I learn

Last edited by sabotage181 on May 22nd, 2013, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 1:24 am
Well, we need to see the full (not-resized) version, before we can start discussing details.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 1:28 am
yes Timothy, I was reading through info on the sight today at work and I know I saw an image hosting website mentioned that is better, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. I'll figure it out

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 2:31 am
you have:
MajHost.com (The most common of them all) tutorial: http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=5&t=985

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 2:42 am
ok, I think that did it. Does that appear to be the correct size?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 3:02 am
I start the ball with:

1. the picture is JPG it must be PNG.
2. Color.
3. double black line is a big no no.
4. You need to redesign the underwater hull
5. And if I am correct, The US Navy have stopped to use the SPS49 together with SPY-1
6. The entire drawing looks like you just have stretched it in paint instead for doing proper work and draw it correct after SB rules.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 3:05 am
first things first, I was thinking for battle damage purposes that I should move one of the CIWS's from the forward deckhouse to the rear so there are two on each deck house

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 3:15 am
If you are using MS Paint, the best suggestion I have is to not use the brush tools. Use the pencil, line, and fill tools. When you save, you need to save the WIP files as bitmaps, then open them in Paint.Net, and save them as PNGs, that will solve some of the discoloration problems.

At this point, I would get an image shack account and use that instead of Photobucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 3:20 am
I am not sure why I am credited... I have drawn none of the parts you've used. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: May 22nd, 2013, 3:21 am
ok then. A couple questions. We are using a scale of two pixels equals one foot. So I'm wondering, what's the standard naval deck height, is it eight feet?
As in one deck would be 16 pixels?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 512 »

Jump to: