[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
ALVAMA
Post subject: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 1st, 2011, 4:41 pm
Macoma, Gadila and more to follow
Attachment:
CVE Karel Doorman I.png

[Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 1st, 2011, 8:36 pm
AWESOME! only the torps on the landed planes look weird.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 1st, 2011, 11:37 pm
Biplanes in 46?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 9:40 am
The Fairey Swordfish, one of the most succesfull biplanes in history. Designed in the 1930s, the Swordfish outlived several types intended to replace it, and remained in front line service through the end of the war in Europe. The last one was only delivered by 1944, so they where put in use some time after that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 3:18 pm
Still, in an age were jet fighters were becoming available, they start to look outright antique.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 3:21 pm
Thiel wrote:
Still, in an age were jet fighters were becoming available, they start to look outright antique.
true. the reason they were used was that biplanes used an shorter runway. on the smaller carriers (and MAC ships) they were of much more use because of this.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 3:28 pm
Very nice, my first New Year ship to view and a real treat.

Re the discussion on Biplanes, jets etc. Yes, the Swordfish proved very durable and useful in the asw role from small carriers; and when we consider its qualities we see it had great handling, and useful range, and was incredibly durable. In some ways it was able to carry out similar work to a helicopter - being able to 'hang' over a target with low speed and agility, so could drop a depth charge or rockets were needed, and later versions also had radar. And in 1946 jets were still experimental and not popular due to their low power and limited range.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 5:06 pm
Excellent drawing Alex.
BTW this ship was a converted merchant ship (sister to HMS Campania and HMS Vindex, although they had some differences).
You also forgot the radar on top of the mast
[ img ]

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 5:54 pm
Oh Thanks!! what radar did she had?

[Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: redone/remodell Karel Doorman IPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Type 293 which can be found on Hood's chart of RN radars in the parts section.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: