Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 27 of 51  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2951 »
PomboCZ
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 9:45 am
Do not apologize ;-) I was just interested if you're working on it. :)

[Profile]
denodon
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 9:53 am
Excellent work all, especially with those An-24s Eswube, they should prove to be very useful to have.

[Profile]
Chz
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 10:46 am
[ img ]
Jurgis Dobkevičius built his first plane - the DOBI I - privately and with his own funds, so there are no documents regarding this plane in the military archives, however, according to foreign journals (Dobkevičius himself supplied them with information and even sent plans) the plane was built in 1921. The first test flight happened next year, when the plane wasn't fully finished yet (the engine wasn't fixed properly, but thankfully everything went well) and more testing happened in autumn, when it was found that the plane was manoeuvrable, quite hard to land (this is probably why Dobkevičius never let anyone else fly it), had minimal view forwards and, surprisingly enough, with its 35HP engine, incredibly fast (175km/h). In 1923 the engineer set out for a flight to St. Petersburg, but due to multiple malfunctions he had to return back to Kaunas. Finally, in 1925, while landing the DOBI I clipped a horse carriage and crashed, Dobkevičius broke his leg.

[ img ]
Unlike DOBI I, DOBI II was now built officially for military aviation in 1922 for the Lithuanian Air Force, which was searching for fighter and recon planes. J. Dobkevičius started with a recon design, which was supposed to be fast and have a high service ceiling. In 1923, after test flights, DOBI II turned out to be the fastest two-seater plane with an engine of 200HP, and Dobkevičius already planned a 1000km flight from Kaunas to Prague. However, Germany wouldn't allow flights to pass their air space without landing for a check-up, so when the DOBI II set out for Prague and had to land in Koenigsburg, due to poor visibility and (who would of guessed) difficult landing abilities, the plane crashed. However, it was then repaired and sent back to Lithuania, where J. Dobkevičius was now focusing on his new project. Jonas Mikėnas was the first pilot Dobkevičius allowed to fly his planes, however although he was regarded as one of the most experienced pilots in Lithuania, he still didn't manage to land the DOBI II properly and, you guessed it, crashed while landing. It was never repaired.

[ img ]
DOBI III was the first and only purpose-built fighter plane of the Lithuanian Air Force. It was built in 1924, with such relatively new and unheard of features as retractable landing gear (it was planned, and Dobkevičius still built the plane so that it could be done, but found no workshop able to build such a mechanism) and surface radiators, used a powerful new BMW engine and specially engineered wings to provide maximum lift and speed, so that the plane could dive while attacking and gain altitude again quickly. Little is known about its flying properties, as J. Dobkevičius hurried the production (according to J. Mikėnas, this was his notable trait) and only managed two test flights, which both ended in a crash. During the last flight, in 1926, J. Dobkevičius attempted to land three times, however he clipped telegraph wires, then a tree and finally crashed. Jurgis Dobkevičius died several hours later in hospital.

Last edited by Chz on July 10th, 2013, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 11:15 am
@Denodon
I'm sure that aviation of Sieran will be able to put them to good use! :)

@Chz
That's excellent! Now You have made my day! :)
Only small nit-pick to the description of DOBI III - it wasn't "fighter jet". ;)

[Profile]
Chz
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 11:21 am
eswube wrote:
@Chz
That's excellent! Now You have made my day! :)
Only small nit-pick to the description of DOBI III - it wasn't "fighter jet". ;)
Leftover from making jets for the past 5 months, I'd say.
fixed now

[Profile]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 3:11 pm
eswube wrote:
@Naixoterk
Why do You think it "is far from being acceptable"? Actually it looks very good to me. I just have two minor nit-picks:
- You've got some stray pixels over the aircraft and around the credits that need to be cleaned-up (they are in light-grey shades, so they aren't well visible, but need to be removed anyway),
- the triangle "roundel" on the bottom side of the wing could be made more triangular - just make it bit wider (taller) at the base - to 5 pixels, and reduce to 1 pixel at the rightmost tip, so it would be symmetrical. I suppose that You draw it that way because Your source drawing show it to be just 4 pixel high, but in such scale it's ok to make so minor adjustments.
:)

@Radome
Excellent work with C6N1!
Oook, those grey dots were there because i usually copy/paste my source image ,resized to shipbucket measurement, above the shipbucket pic, in order to keep it at sight every moment and take measures. It was simply that i forgot to clear them completely.

How is it now?

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

Last edited by Naixoterk on July 10th, 2013, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
Caddaric79
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 3:23 pm
It is very nice.
What do you think about lighten the wing roots, since this surface is illuminated by the sky ?

[Profile]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 5:07 pm
Yeah, it would be nice to make the wing roots in the lighter shade.
And that's a suggestion about roundel under the wing:
[ img ]

[Profile]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 5:35 pm
I didn't draw the original airplane, Nighthunter did that. And the changement would go beyond the limits of "just applying the camouflage and markings" so, if you don't mind, i'd like to move on into another project.

Meanwhile here's the, i hope, definitive version with Eswube's roundel applied:

[ img ]

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 5Posted: July 10th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Still need to correct position of description. ;)

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 27 of 51  [ 506 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2951 »

Jump to: