Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: February 13th, 2013, 9:21 pm
I agree. Great looking ship and badge that just doesn't impress.
:)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: February 13th, 2013, 9:33 pm
it just might be possible that the badge is there to be redrawn just like te bits of the reference drawing that can be seen where the top view island is.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: February 14th, 2013, 2:01 am
That's right... this is still a WIP as you can see from the bits of original drawing still visible. My problem is the overall length. Is it 769ft or 760ft in 1940? The gun buckets that were added to the stern in 1942 added about 10ft to the length. :?:

The badge has been expanded tot the size I want for the drawing... I haven't touched it yet, as you can see :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: February 14th, 2013, 11:25 pm
Friedman lists her overall length as 769 and her waterline length as 730 and her plans say 769 as well. After measuring the plans I'm pretty sure that's the length without the stern gun tub overhang.
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/cv4.pdf

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: February 15th, 2013, 1:54 am
That's what I thought :-(

Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: June 6th, 2014, 1:00 am
Its been a year, any progress?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: June 6th, 2014, 3:14 am
According to the measurements listed above, the ship is 10 feet too short (by 20 pixels of overall length). This is not an insignificant error and will have made the drawing entirely inaccurate (scale wise) if it's been traced from an original plan - which is what 99% of our drawings do. ;)

Next time, check and check and recheck again before you go and waste your time drawing something that's not correctly scaled. I have done this myself a few times and it has led to my current approach, which is much more thorough... spend a little bit of time making sure it's 100% accurate before you then have to go back and totally redraw it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: June 27th, 2014, 8:06 pm
nighthunter wrote:
Its been a year, any progress?
Sorry for the late reply, I've only just read this post. I'm afraid not much progress. I've re-scaled the ship so I'm happy with dimensions. I've also changed the planking on the flight deck after inspiration from PomboCZ's excellent Junyo. My original effort missed the mark by a fair margin. Colo's updated USN parts sheet has also given me a lot of help, especially with the .50 Cal Browning which was giving me a headache (Any chance of a top down view? :P )

Since looking at the latest master pieces posted, I've realized I've been making a lot of errors with shading and colors. Unfortunately, this extends to other my other drawings so I will have to revisit these as well.

I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant of posting anymore USN ships, after some of the recent flaming in this forum. ;)
Colosseum wrote:
Next time, check and check and recheck again before you go and waste your time drawing something that's not correctly scaled. I have done this myself a few times and it has led to my current approach, which is much more thorough... spend a little bit of time making sure it's 100% accurate before you then have to go back and totally redraw it!
I know. This isn't the first time it's happened, and it really knocks the wind out of my sails. In this case, I was foxed by the extensions added on in subsequent refits :?

I'll crack on for a bit more and post a WIP in a few days. In the mean time, here's the badge. Go easy on me, Kim! :P
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: June 28th, 2014, 12:36 pm
Here's what I have so far. I've got a lot of re shading to do, mostly beneath the flight deck.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: CV-4 USS RangerPosted: June 28th, 2014, 2:40 pm
Looks pretty good so far...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 35 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: