Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 12  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 8:46 am
Thank You Mates! Your comments make me blush. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 9:03 am
Put your balls back in place eswube, only girls blush! :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 11:39 am
Really nice, really nice...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 11:57 am
one little thingie....
just noticed your SAR 1500 boat....
may I see your refs for the underwater hull? I am looking for those, as this class is the same as the arie visser class from the netherlands.
and with that in mind... I had already drawn these vessels. http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... R-1500.png
I am a bit puzzled though, as in paintjob and stern shape yours looks completely different :S

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I am a bit puzzled though, as in paintjob and stern shape yours looks completely different :S
Well paintjob is 100% accurate, Polish sea border guard ships have blue hull. Red hull and SAR "logo" use Maritime Search and Rescue Service.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 12:39 pm
that explains the paintjob, but still, any reason why there had to be an entirely new drawing for this ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 12:48 pm
Why entirely new drawing? Honestly? Because I wanted to have all drawings in this thread done all by myself. And You're not the first one to ask this question in this thread. ;)

And as for Your main question - unfortunately I had no drawings, did it all based on photographs. It would be easier to answer Your question had You asked it month ago. I remember I used photos from two links. One is here:
http://www.tactical.pl/forum/index.php? ... ;topicseen
Second one... sorry. All I remember it was from some (possibly local) news website - didn't thought I will need it after such time. :(

Besides, I accept that there might be errors. I mentioned that I'm not fully satisfied with these.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 1:03 pm
ok. still wondering why you'd want that, as of course I like mine better :P the underwater hull, in a quick check, seems flawed, (the hull should be something like this http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 3neu4v.png, as that is an design that is evolved out of that hull design)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 1:14 pm
Well, I guess You won't be surprised that I like mine better. :P
Perhaps it's flawed, that's the downside of working on photographs.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Small coastal combattants of the Polish Navy and Coast GPosted: July 7th, 2015, 8:50 pm
Small update to this old thread. :)
Finally I am able to fill the most significant gap in it's content - the submarine chaser ORP Bitny (S-72).

German conquer of vast areas of the Soviet Union in 1941 created a demand for a riverine combat vessel that could be used by Wasserschutzpolizei (Water Security Police, subordinated to SS) for counter-insurgency operations in those areas that had extensive net of inland waterways. Such vessel was to wield significant firepower and be land-transportable. Initial demands called for a boat armed with 1 tank turret with 37mm cannon (from LT-38 tanks or alternatively the 4cm Flak.28 Bofors) and 1 quadruple 20mm AA gun, 10mm-thick armor of important part of the vessel, speed of 18,5-21 knots, range of 240 NM and production time not exceeding 3 weeks. Design works were entrusted to Gebruder Sachsenberg shipyards and initial plans called for a series of 250 cutters called Zerlegbares Polizei-Kampboot (Demountable Police Combat Boat), mainly to be used in the Dnepr area (by the Wasserschutzpolizei-Kommando Dnepr). In 1943 the much-reduced order for 50 cutters was placed, 40 of which were to be built in Hamburg shipyard of Gebr. Sachsenberg company, and several each in N.V. Holland Nautic in Haarlem (Netherlands; EDIT: according to ALVAMA, the actual name of the shipyard at the time could possibly be Scheepswerf Conrad N.V.) and in Weichselwerft GmbH in Schroettersburg (which was German name of Płock in Poland). In June 1944 the order was further reduced to 22 or 28 cutters.
Cutters could be transported in parts on 6 heavy truck trailers and were powered by two aircraft engines Hispano-Suiza 12Y (900hp power) adapted for car fuel. First cutter, ZPK-1 was completed in December 1943 and until 1944 was undergoing trials in Kiel. It's further fate is unknown.
Next two cutters, ZPK-2 and ZPK-3 were completed in February 1944 and around July 1944 were attached to 4. Artillerie-Flotille of Kriegsmarine, operating on Lake Peipus. Their combat career there was rather short - ZPK-2 ran aground on 25 of August and was destroyed by its own crew, while ZPK-3 was sunk by Soviet Air Force.
ZPK-4 (first of cutters built in Haarlem) was initially planned to be attached to the same unit as previous two cutters, but eventually was sent to Wasserschutzpolizei-Kommando Danemark.
ZPK-5 was a trials unit, propelled by experimental Schottel SRP azipods but despite promising results of trials it wasn't accepted for wide used.
Fate of ZPK-6 and ZPK-7 (both built in Hamburg) is unknown.
ZPK-8 (second Haarlem-built) was completed in May 1944 and immediately transferred to Wasserschutzpolizei-Kommando Westliche Ostsee and after the war was taken over by British in Flensburg.
Cutters ZPK-9 and ZPK-10 were probably completed but no details are known.
Cutters ZPK-11 and ZPK-12 (both Haarlem-built) were initially earmarked to 4. Artillerie Flotille but because of the Soviet advance they were in October commissioned to Kriegsmarine as submarine chasers Uj-124 and Uj-125, only to be transferred in December to Wasserschutzpolizei-Schule in Lauterbach (on Rugen island). At least one of them was captured on 6 May 1945 in Maasholm (Schleswig) by British.
Besides above mentioned vessels that were completed, at least several were in the various stages of completion when the war ended (or their shipyards were captured).

[ img ]

One of the incomplete Płock-built ZPK's was found shortly after the war in Toruń and after much deliberation, around 1950 it was decided to complete it for the Polish Navy as a training cutter. The hull was transported by rail (in sections) to Stocznia Marynarki Wojennej (Navy Shipyard) in Gdynia, where reconstruction plans were made in early 1951 uder the work name ST (Ścigacz Toruński - Toruń Chaser) and it's purpose changed to patrol boat.
During the construction process the sections were connected permamently. Finished cutter was armed with 2 37mm 70-K cannon, single DShK machine and two depth charge launchers. ORP Bitny (pennant number S-72) was officially commisioned into service in the Polish Navy on 18 July 1953 and sent to naval base in Świnoujście. From the beginnig the HS 12Ydrs engines (particularly the starboard one) caused lots of troubles and greatly contributed to Bitny's short period of service, which ended formally on 8 January 1957. Shortly later the cutter was scrapped.
Because of Bitny's service coincided with most secretive period in the history of the Polish Navy (namely the era of stalinism - or, as it was called in the Party newspeak after it's denounciation "period of errors and distortion"), Bitny remains very little known vessel, of which only two photographs are known.

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on July 8th, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 12  [ 116 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 12 »

Jump to: