Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Since my project on updating the past Type21 at SB draw largely positive and appreciative comments, I've been looking for its Brazilian counterpart, the Niteroi-class. I found a previous drawing at an invision-site, made by someone named Tacit. Thinking this was done and all, I prepared to move on, that is, till I began to more closely examine that image and found so many errors that I decided to redraw the whole ship. Tacit's drawing was never uploaded (as far as I can tell!) at the main site of SB, and so far, nobody's claimed it in their work lists. I thought that such a gem of a vessel really deserves a proper presentation, so, I decided to do the class.

I begin with the F Constituição (F42), in her present guise. She appeared like this when she participated in the search for Air France Flight 447, Airbus 330-203 which crashed mid-air in the South Atlantic, June 1 2009, taking with her all crew and passangers, all in all 228 people. Here she is rearmed with Bofors SAK 40mm/L70 guns on the bridge wings and Aspide PDMS on her quarterdeck. Modern satcoms adorn her hangar.

[ img ]

Next I present the midships' man training vessel NE Brasil (U-27), which essentially is the seventh unit of the Niteroi-class, but with Pielstick diesels, and, instead of a top speed of 28 knots, only a modest 18 knots. Also, she is armed only with two Bofors 40 mm/L70. This is how she appear as of today.

[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on May 11th, 2011, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 4:38 pm
Nice ones! Good to see somebody pick the project up and finnished it good! Looking foward to see more!

[Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Excellent shipmate :D And yes, the earlier versions by Tacit were never submitted by him for uploading, then he ceased posting :cry: . I had these in my thread on the old site, of drawings needing to be uploaded, but now we have this new version, so good news, being IMHO the ultimate Vospers design. If I dare add a very minor critique? On the bridge, you show a split in the horizontal pixel line; this is my preference, but I just think it looks a wee bit bit odd? I beleive the aim is to show the curve in the hull but I'm not sure if this applies when we get to the upper superstructure. Anyway others may disagree so it remains my own view ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 6:18 pm
sould porthols not be 4xblue pixel...?

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Nice piece of work.
However, as Alvama said portholes should be 4 pixels

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:11 pm
PB, I know what you mean, but there's a curvature, which, of course is difficult to depict in a SB-like fashion. I pondered it long, trust me. In Tacit's version the rooflines of the forward and aft superstructures are not level, as it should be in the real design, and he chose to draw the bridge lines straight! So, in other words, this is in order to get the entire superstructure within level of each other.

Alex and Thiel, yeah, I'd say normally they should, but in this case, being portholes in the superstructure they are IRL very small barely fitting a grown man's head, thus I didn't want to compromise the overall accuracy by going with the 'big' ones. Check photos, compare with normal hull-fitted portholes and you understand what I mean.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:24 pm
A real gem bezobrazov!
These ships are some of the best looking, IMHO the best of the Vosper designs.
Also IIRC the Niteroi was completed with 76mm Oto Melara Compact gun in front, while the others combattants had the Mk.8 4.5" gun.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Handsome vessels and excellent drawn :D I might have something of you're interest on my CoA thread, so I recommend you to have a look there ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:36 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
portholes in the superstructure they are IRL very small barely fitting a grown man's head
Check out human head size in SB scale: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=769&start=0
;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Type 21 On Steroids: Brazil's Niteroi-Class FFGsPosted: May 10th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Novice, thanks for that info! Didn't know that! There's another version then to do! And Kim, already???? Wow, what can I say...sooooooo fast! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 70 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: