Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Thiel
Post subject: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: June 28th, 2011, 7:03 pm
I thought it was time to get a bit of focus on another largely forgotten type of ships that inhabits the worlds navies and coast guards.
To start out here's the Danish Sea Truck class.
[ img ]
The drawing shows her somewhere in the middle of her career, just after she was taken over by the navy. As with most little known classes, getting a positive fix on when the various changes were made can be pretty much impossible.
Anyway, she was build in 1979 and operated by the Danish environmental authorities but manned by RDN personnel. In 1996 she was handed over to the navy. Despite her looks she is not capable of acting as a landing ship. The bowdoor is part of the original oil recovery system.
They're beginning to show their age and are considered operationally obsolete, yet they remain in service since there's no replacements in sight at the moment.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 8:36 pm
[ img ]

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ReiAyanami
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 8:46 pm
Finding good photos of such ships must be difficult. Sweet looking and a very welcome break from warships!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 8:49 pm
Not as hard as you might think. The RDNs library is digitizing their entire photo collection and making them available in a database of theirs, so as long as I'm dealing with Danish vessels I'm pretty much guaranteed to find something, no matter how obscure the ship might be.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 10:50 pm
I think it could use a little more shading under a few things, notably the overhang (I think there's an overhang) over the bridge

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 4th, 2011, 6:09 am
^Better?

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 4th, 2011, 6:39 am
Yes, but I think perhaps extending it down as seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 9th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Carnac wrote:
Yes, but I think perhaps extending it down as seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16
But it doesn't extend downwards on that draawing. That's a piece of piping for the NBC protection system.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 16th, 2011, 11:40 am
[ img ]
The second unit of the supply class. Only real difference is the different crane.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Environmental Protection VesselsPosted: July 16th, 2011, 12:25 pm
:D Super :!:

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: