Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
SKIPPBH
Post subject: Re: Another merchant - TT Jahre VikingPosted: November 10th, 2010, 1:37 am
Sorry everyone about the white space. I fixed it.

I am kind of new here.

One thing, if I participate then I want to show absolute accuracy (best I can do with what I have)
This ship is well pictured at the Auk Vissers tanker website and I got a GA plan from the owners (with a plan to build a 3d model of the ship)
This is scratch drawn image from ship plans and photo images. I did not copy anything from anybody. The 'other' version of Jahre Viking on-site is incorrect in so many ways I cannot even begin. This is not a disrespect to someones work. Let's keep the real ship drawings as accurate as possible please?

I tried to use the guidelines as to pixel use, curves etc. Please let me know what needs to be fixed.

If this site accepts inaccurate drawings because they look 'nice' then I am not participating. I have many other projects and actually enjoy the renditions of the war ships. As long as there is room for some merchants.

Not very welcoming to someone new to the site?

SKIPPBH

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Another merchant - TT Jahre VikingPosted: November 10th, 2010, 1:48 am
Well, look at the context in which it was posted -- surely unintentional but a little unfortunate regardless. You posted this literally right after ALVAMA posted his drawing of it. Naturally, a lot of people just sort of assumed that it was either a copy or something. I got two reports about this post being "mindless trolling", but thankfully I've done this long enough to be able to look at a drawing and see whether or not it was stolen from someone else.

As far as issues with the image itself goes, I feel like 99% of them could be solved with a quick read through of the Shipbucket standards and guidelines. If you want to resubmit the drawing in the proper template with the correct text, font, etc, please do so. And while you're at it, let ALVAMA know what's wrong with his drawing. As it stands there's really not too much information about this ship that the average drawer can find without directly contacting the manufacturer.

If ALVAMA's is incorrect, we will upload yours instead as soon as it is placed into the proper standards, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
SKIPPBH
Post subject: Re: Another merchant - TT Jahre VikingPosted: November 10th, 2010, 2:44 am
Ok thats fair. Thanks for the understanding/input. I really tried to use the shipbucket formats. Not sure where to start to recheck everything. It seems simple enough. ALVAMA's work is just great, I have the highest respect for his drawings. I just happen to know a lot about this ship in particular. It is (will be) a rather historic ship at some point. I am simply not going to comment on his rendition which is, at best, the "Knock Nevis" FSO version of the ship after refit (with the heli pad etc).

skppbh

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Another merchant - TT Jahre VikingPosted: November 10th, 2010, 6:53 am
You are right about the helopad I'll remove that. But most of the things I added were from the building papers I downloaded..

[Quote]
SKIPPBH
Post subject: Re: Another merchant - TT Jahre VikingPosted: November 11th, 2010, 4:03 am
Hi Alvamar

I do want to compliment you on your work. You are a shipping enthusiast, as am I.

For my part, I asked for and received a copy of the GA plan of the ship from the owners which ,reluctantly, they were able to send me and I was able to reduce sufficiently to provide a plan view template to the scale I wanted.
Not the best but sufficiently detailed to be able to interpret using a huge amount of photos located at Auk Visser excellent tanker site at http://www.aukevisser.nl/supertankers/id133.htm. There are photos here of the ship as SEAWISE GIANT, JAHRE VIKING and KNOCK NEVIS even as the MONT when she was renamed and scrapped at Gadani Beach. Many videos also. Under KNOCK NEVIS there is a plan view of the ship shown with the heli-pad and the bow mounted FSO loading gear.
You will notice she has a forward bridge (like the Titanic!) located near the bow, as well as a protruding bridge line. The huge deck plates port and starboard were required to strengthen the ship after she was jumboised as 'SEAWISE GIANT'. Aslo the colors are reversed on your model. Darker red for the deck and freeboard is correct according to the photos. The ship had these rather ugly protruding anchor stations to allow the anchor to drop without damaging the BB. You will also see the tug guides are much smaller and close to the waterline. The propeller was not exposed but located in a cowl in an attempt to control cavitation. The JAHRE VIKING also had derricks, the cargo handling cranes were installed when she became KNOCK NEVIS (as well as a large deck building aft of the cranes)
Someone by the name of Sebu, created a virtually sailable version of the ship for use in the software program 'Virtual Sailor' which is really very good. The sailable version is not readily downloadable but I have it to share if you have the program (which is not expensive).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: