Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2227 »
Spike
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 6:13 pm
So far I've spotted five errors with the drawing that need to be corrected:

1. What exactly are you trying to depict at the fore end of the superstructure below the 40-mm Bofors mount? I'm talking about the three portholes, followed by the door, with a fourth porthole behind it. It looks like you're trying to depict this as the pilothouse. This is where the conning towers that were removed from the Brooklyn-class cruisers were placed. It should be several viewing slits. The door is well below the level of the viewing slits and the last porthole shouldn't exist. I believe Colo gave you this advice once before, don't make up details. Follow that advice.

2. The uppermost level of portholes on the fire control tower - those above the actual pilothouse. Again, these are actually viewing slits, not portholes. Hopefully this picture explains these two points.

[ img ]

3. The shape of the pilothouse is correct, but the fore end of it has to continue up to the next level of the tower (the level with portholes rather than slits in point #2).

4. The shape of the after part of the fire control tower is incorrect. Note in the attached pictures that in 1943-1944 this area between the fire control tower and the funnel wa open on the deck below the pilothouse. I think it was filled in sometime in late 1944 or early 1945. Your drawing currently depicts the ship in 1945.

5. This is a minor nitpick. The after fire control tower is missing its row of observation slits. These photos should explain points #3, #4 & #5.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Collaboration at its finest. Thanks for the detailed descriptions and reference shots!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 7:45 pm
Yes, thank you for the advice and the photos. back to work I go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 7:48 pm
While you're at it, swap out those awful old misscaled Mk.37 directors for the new ones here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161 ... r-Mk37.png

NavSource is down so I can't confirm, but from the photos posted above by Spike (who is this guy? Wish people made more comments like that...), looks like your 1943 version will need the square back director shield with the Mark 4 radar. The first photo shows what appears to be a very late war fit (reference the height finding SP (or maybe SM) radar on the mainmast) with the Mk.12/22 combination, and Mk.8 Mod.3 radar on the aft Mk.34 main battery director.

You've also got the old SG radar set that needs to be replaced... I'd really love to know where people find these old radar drawings!!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 8:20 pm
Okay I think I've got the corrections done. And by the way those were viewing slits but I guess my depiction was faulty.
I was unsure about the gap between the funnel and the tower when I first did the drawing so I left it out hoping for correction if I was wrong . . . and I got it, thanks.

Here she is with the corrections. Pick her appart.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on April 27th, 2014, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 8:26 pm
you'r template is odd. something have happened to it!

Here are an fresh one. just copy and past you'r ship and name in to it (you should check all your templates for the same error, special for this ship):
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 9:16 pm
heuhen wrote:
you'r template is odd. something have happened to it!

Here are an fresh one. just copy and past you'r ship and name in to it (you should check all your templates for the same error, special for this ship):
[ img ]
How is this one?

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on April 29th, 2014, 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 27th, 2014, 9:46 pm
better!

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 29th, 2014, 2:00 pm
Wow solid work!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Tennessee Class Battleship USS California (BB-44)Posted: April 30th, 2014, 7:45 pm
Okay this is my first attempt at camouflage so don't laugh too hard. . .Comments and suggestions are welcome.

[ img ]

Fire when ready.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 27  [ 265 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2227 »

Jump to: