Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 1:44 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Atleast all the flag sources I have states that Norwegians use the shallowed tailed flag as both state and military ensign, so Unless these ships are civilian charted and private owned, the flag is wrong.

And what comes to the size, provide me a picture of simlar size flag on similar size vessel and Let you keep it ;)
not bothered to looking for an example. so I take my tail between my legs and runs away!

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm
Really? Well, what would I know? I'm just currently serving in the Royal Norwegian Navy....

Seriously though. There are quite specific rules concerning flag usage, and there are quite specific rules concerning the size of flags. While at sea, we fly "Norges orlogsflagg, størrelse 3" (Norway Naval flag, size 3), which is a relatively small flag (we fly size 4 on the stern monday though saturday, and size 5 on sundays and official flag days). As for different flags, yes we do have two flags. The naval flag (orlogsflagget) and the naval jack (orlogsgjøsen), the latter of which is considerably smaller, being a perfect square in shape. See here for image. Heuhen, read this (sorry guys, its in Norwegian). And yes, it is quite forbidden for the commander to fly a larger flag "if he wants to". Trust me on this one.

If there are high-ranking officers or government dignitaries (minister of defence, members of the royal family) with own flags aboard, these are flown from the mast on the starboard side, alongside the sea flag. Additionally, commanding officers ranked Commander and above are entitled to fly a small personal command pennant from the top of the mast. This pennant is flown from the moment the officer assumes command, until he or she relinquish command of the vessel. As such, the pennant is never taken down, even when the vessel is in port, since the vessel is under command.

If you're going to depict ships with the naval flag flying from the stern, you have to include the naval jack in the bow of the ship (unless the ship is currently not on the water (in dock or such), in which case the crew simply fly the naval flag from the stern), and without the sea flag in the mast. The rules are absolute on this point, no "if's", "but's" or "however's".

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 4:32 pm
Eeo wrote:
Really? Well, what would I know? I'm just currently serving in the Royal Norwegian Navy....

Seriously though. There are quite specific rules concerning flag usage, and there are quite specific rules concerning the size of flags. While at sea, we fly "Norges orlogsflagg, størrelse 3" (Norway Naval flag, size 3), which is a relatively small flag (we fly size 4 on the stern monday though saturday, and size 5 on sundays and official flag days). As for different flags, yes we do have two flags. The naval flag (orlogsflagget) and the naval jack (orlogsgjøsen), the latter of which is considerably smaller, being a perfect square in shape. See here for image. Heuhen, read this (sorry guys, its in Norwegian). And yes, it is quite forbidden for the commander to fly a larger flag "if he wants to". Trust me on this one.

If there are high-ranking officers or government dignitaries (minister of defence, members of the royal family) with own flags aboard, these are flown from the mast on the starboard side, alongside the sea flag. Additionally, commanding officers ranked Commander and above are entitled to fly a small personal command pennant from the top of the mast. This pennant is flown from the moment the officer assumes command, until he or she relinquish command of the vessel. As such, the pennant is never taken down, even when the vessel is in port, since the vessel is under command.

If you're going to depict ships with the naval flag flying from the stern, you have to include the naval jack in the bow of the ship (unless the ship is currently not on the water (in dock or such), in which case the crew simply fly the naval flag from the stern), and without the sea flag in the mast. The rules are absolute on this point, no "if's", "but's" or "however's".
I learn something new today! shuld i then keep the flag aft but just take to remove the flag in the mast?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 9:30 pm
For Gollevainen

My list of completed vessels:
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h37 ... 20designs/

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 10:49 pm
Flag on main mast: ship is sailing OR
Flag on stern pole plus Naval Jack: ship docked.
As written previuosly the rules are clear worldwide.

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 28th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Former Coastguard and training vessel:

[ img ]

http://commercial.apolloduck.com/featur ... ?id=170781

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Cute!!!

[Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 30th, 2011, 9:28 am
Attachments of this thread pruned, due reaching the forum quota of maxium attachments

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Norwegian NavyPosted: March 31st, 2011, 10:20 pm
[ img ]

i'l do this version later:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/pho ... lid=352823

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 49 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: