Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 9:30 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
only wondering about 2 things: no hangar? and .... can you show me more about this? it sounds interesting.
There is supposed to be a hanger for the two embarked helicopters. You can see the helicopter control station sticking out from behind the aft crane. I would imagine that the hanger is underneath the control station and hidden from view by the crane. Technical details are very sparse, but the best info to date is from globalsecurity.org (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... lass-8.htm)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 9:31 pm
then at least one helicopter should be shown on the deck ;) that is the way of representing there is an hangar on board for shipbucket, in case you didn't know.

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 9:44 pm
Thanks Ace ...

[Profile] [Quote]
Paul Carl
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 10:05 pm
Would they not use the CH-149 Cormorant or would it more likely use the Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm (BO-105-CBS), Belll 206L or the Bell 212 or the Bell 206 L currently in service.
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0001589

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 10:22 pm
Paul Carl wrote:
Would they not use the CH-149 Cormorant or would it more likely use the Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm (BO-105-CBS), Belll 206L or the Bell 212 or the Bell 206 L currently in service.
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/e0001589
For the size of the vessel and the missions planned for it, I would think the the CH-149 would have more flexibility (payload, range, etc.) and would be better suited to support the ship than the BO-105 or other CCG helicopters. As the Navy (RCN!) was planning on purchasing the EH.101 (CH-148 Petrel) and the joint nature of the planned ships company, I didn't think the CH-149 was too much of a stretch.

[Profile] [Quote]
Paul Carl
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 1st, 2012, 11:23 pm
No I believe it would be very much suited for the job, but with any procurement the Canadian government has a hand in, I would not hold your breathe. This we see in the designed and reviewed to death JSS, Hero class Arctic Patrol Ships, the still long awaited CH 148 Cormorant, the cancelled Polar 8 and the still to be seen F-35 Raptor. We also have a bad taste in our mouths and pocketbooks from the Upholder fiasco.

We have so many hands in the pot and not only have to deal with the never ending political flip flops that seem to want to go for the flavour of the month votes, instead of what is right. This is also goes along with the lack of a vision beyond a 4 year election mandate for the Canadian Forces and other government agencies. Another issue is the constant threat from Quebec saying give it to us or we won't let it happen.

If we ever did follow through with all the plans that has been previously been studied at great cost, we would probable have a Armed Forces that could actually fulfill its mandate of 3 ocean defence. Please understand our forces do an outstanding job with the equipment they are given, but they need to have the proper equipment on the ground, in the air and on the oceans now not just on paper.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:40 am
An impressive ship, but the shading is non-standard and I'd use a very dark grey dividing line between the red and the grey on the bow.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
sailor82
Post subject: Re: Canadian Polar 8 ProjectPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 2:00 am
Paul Carl wrote:
No I believe it would be very much suited for the job, but with any procurement the Canadian government has a hand in, I would not hold your breathe. This we see in the designed and reviewed to death JSS, Hero class Arctic Patrol Ships, the still long awaited CH 148 Cormorant, the cancelled Polar 8 and the still to be seen F-35 Raptor. We also have a bad taste in our mouths and pocketbooks from the Upholder fiasco.

We have so many hands in the pot and not only have to deal with the never ending political flip flops that seem to want to go for the flavour of the month votes, instead of what is right. This is also goes along with the lack of a vision beyond a 4 year election mandate for the Canadian Forces and other government agencies. Another issue is the constant threat from Quebec saying give it to us or we won't let it happen.

If we ever did follow through with all the plans that has been previously been studied at great cost, we would probable have a Armed Forces that could actually fulfill its mandate of 3 ocean defence. Please understand our forces do an outstanding job with the equipment they are given, but they need to have the proper equipment on the ground, in the air and on the oceans now not just on paper.
An acquisition nightmare to be sure. Any company under that environment would be reluctant to sign a contract with government as they may have to front start up costs that they may not be reimbursed for if the contract is cancelled at the last minute.

It is very hard for anyone to serve under those conditions, but the men and women who do so under the Canadian Flag have my respect and admiration.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: