Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 11  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »
Karle94
Post subject: Lexington CC1Posted: February 15th, 2014, 11:07 pm
So this drawing has laid dorment on my computer for a couple of months. I decided to finish it up and post it here.

[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on February 19th, 2014, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 1:54 am
This is one of your most detailed drawings yet! Its been great watching you master the intricacies of American dreadnoughts. Can I ask what image you used as you template, I am a big fan of these ships and you have some details I haven't seen anywhere else. The corrections I would suggest from a glance are the casemates for the 6" guns should be shaded to show that the 0-1 deck is angled there and the 2nd 3" is where a 6" should be and it should be between the 1st and 2nd 6" mounts.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 2:01 am
I used this image as the referance: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... uiser2.jpg

Wikipedia says that the Lexington was to have 14 six inch guns, not 16. 8 casemated guns, and 6 deck mounted guns.

And a sidenote: This is the only 1919 version of the Lexington currently on the bucket. Two are 1941 versions, while the other is a 1917 version.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 2:25 am
Had to research that because every depiction of her ive seen has 16 but wikipedia does say 14. The descrepincy is because the ship as laid down differed from the actual 1919 plans slightly. With the exception of the secondaries your depiction is of how she was being built. Here is the actual plan from Friedman's US Cruisers.

[ img ]

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 2:41 am
Spring styles book says it is the third of four redesigns for the Lexington. Here is the link: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/imag ... 84148c.htm

According to Wikipedia, the Lexington was to be over 40,000 tons standard, while that design is 35,500 tons.
The third redesign was smaller, only 850 feet long, mine, which is the second redesign called B2 is 874 feet long, and is slightly wider.

What you linked me is not the truly "definitive" Lexington.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:27 am
All designs for the Lexington are listed 850' but that is the waterline length. All of them had an overall length of 874'. The design I posted is not in the springstyle book and has 2 funnels not 5, read the box at the bottom right of the pic. It says 1919 design, waterline length, 43,500 displacement, etc. The design I posted was the final design for the ships and it differs slightly from the how they were laid down just like the springstyle plan for the Lexington carrier conversion differs slightly from the way they were actually completed. (Notably in the position of the armament just like this plan.)

Also have you had a chance to read the sections about the Lexington class in Friedman's US Cruisers or Conway's Warships 2011? If not I'll PM them to you sometime this week. They probably won't have any bearing on your drawing, but as much as you like these ships you will surely find it interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 1:19 pm
I have never read anything of Friedman`s.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:03 pm
I have read very little myself because his books are so expensive, luckily my museum has US Cruisers and I got to poke through it. It's great if you care about the design history as opposed to the operational history. I'll send you the relevant stuff when I get back from this conference, you'll enjoy the read.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:07 pm
Thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Lexington CC1Posted: February 16th, 2014, 4:28 pm
You guys are noobs. I have almost every Friedman book written for the USN. Gotta pay to play (as they say).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161 ... c/buks.jpg

Naturally I don't have a scanner (even though I work for the largest printer manufacturer in the world ???) otherwise I'd scan some stuff for you.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 11  [ 110 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: