Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 53 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page « 151 52 53 54 5568 »
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 24th, 2014, 7:34 pm
Redhorse, the CXAM was an air search radar. That's why it was fitted to the American carriers ASAP...

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 24th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Quote:
Redhorse, the CXAM was an air search radar. That's why it was fitted to the American carriers ASAP...
You're right. Chalk that one up to late-night posting fatigue.

eltf177 - I delete some of the springsharp data to simplify the post. I can post all of it if you like.

Karle - its a 30 degree bow angle, and it does look rather sharp.

macseann - the Oerlikon isn't in widespread use in early 1942. The US will still have 1.1" AA guns (on which I based the 25mm) on many ships in that year. The 25mm guns will get replaced soon with 40mm Bofors and Oerlikons in later refits. You'll see multiple posts on each class as they change through the war.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 24th, 2014, 9:52 pm
A few things:

1. The airplane crane you're using on the first version is actually the same "type" as the one on the second ship - it's just a poorly-produced, out of scale version that was drawn in 2008. The differences between the two should show you how far the style has come...

2. You are using the later-era "cockpit" Mk.37 directors on the first drawing (impossible as the director didn't exist in this format until 1944 or so). I would suggest using the early "taper back" directors on both drawings, with no Mk.3 slewing sight visible on the first drawing's directors.

3. You have used an old version of the Mk.38 director on the first drawing. I would just pull the directors from the 1941 versions of BB-55 or BB-56.

4. If you are using the "modified" Measure 2 as drawn on my 1941 BB-55 in the second drawing, the light grey was painted from the tops of the stacks and up only. But it's very possible that Texas has its own camouflage schemes, so it doesn't really matter.

5. You've used the old 5"/38 twins. They are ugly and should be removed ASAP...

6. Interesting use of the Alaska crane. ;) I might go with the North Carolina crane instead. It's a bit older of a design and more in keeping with the time period. [ img ]

7. Conning tower viewing slits are not glazed - so no reason to show them as blue. I prefer to use a dark grey.

[Profile] [Quote]
Redhorse
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 2:53 am
Quote:
You are using the later-era "cockpit" Mk.37 directors on the first drawing (impossible as the director didn't exist in this format until 1944 or so). I would suggest using the early "taper back" directors on both drawings, with no Mk.3 slewing sight visible on the first drawing's directors.
Easy to fix. I'll swap them out tomorrow.
Quote:
You have used an old version of the Mk.38 director on the first drawing. I would just pull the directors from the 1941 versions of BB-55 or BB-56.
I thought I had pulled them from your parts sheet. I'll doublecheck and use the others if need be.
Quote:
You've used the old 5"/38 twins. They are ugly and should be removed ASAP...
Again, thought I used what was on the parts sheet. I'll check it.

I'll also swap out the crane for NorCal's. Since all my drawings are layered, these are easy changes.

Current Projects:
Republic of Texas Navy
FD Scale F-14s

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Redhorse wrote:
Quote:

eltf177 - I delete some of the springsharp data to simplify the post. I can post all of it if you like.

macseann - the Oerlikon isn't in widespread use in early 1942. The US will still have 1.1" AA guns (on which I based the 25mm) on many ships in that year. The 25mm guns will get replaced soon with 40mm Bofors and Oerlikons in later refits. You'll see multiple posts on each class as they change through the war.
Right, you might, possibly, want to correct that...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 3:46 pm
Wolfman wrote:
Redhorse wrote:
Quote:

Right, you might, possibly, want to correct that...
???

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:28 pm
I was referring to the little bit in the fluff text about the CXAM being a surface search radar, instead of an air search, Colo.

[Profile] [Quote]
macseann
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Redhorse wrote:

Ok that makes sense, looking at the detail... I was thrown off by your describing them as 25mm, but I see that you actually put Texas' version as 1.06in (27mm), so I guess Texas developed a slightly smaller version of the "Chicago Piano". Hopefully Texas' ships don't get stuck trying to ward off too many air attacks with these truly horrible weapons.

brainstaple.com/comeandtakeit

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 25th, 2014, 8:32 pm
I hope so, too...

[Profile] [Quote]
macseann
Post subject: Re: Republic of TexasPosted: June 27th, 2014, 2:15 pm
one more question, again just more world-building questions, since you've done such a great job already.

Is there a "Lone Star Squadron" in the RAF during 1940 and 1941, or are Texan volunteers put in the Eagle Squadron with other American volunteers?

brainstaple.com/comeandtakeit

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 53 of 68  [ 673 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 151 52 53 54 5568 »

Jump to: