Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 9  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: October 10th, 2011, 4:23 pm
That's because IIRC they were standard 3in mountings that had been turned some 30 odd degrees.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 1:07 pm
Atlantis survives into WWII as a destroyer leader, updated with larger guns and like half the other large combatants, heavy amounts of refitting...

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 1:23 pm
You put your AU in ShipBucket AU map?

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 5:04 pm
Well, I can't really. For about 3 years now I've been developing my own AU world, with different alliances, different campaigns, new nations, with a number of them my own creation. In other words, other than some of those AU nations created from scratch (Nighthunter's Dracan, Colosseum's Norht Point...) there is really no way to integrate Centennia and its allies into a generalized AU. Even then there would be some difficulty integrating my or their AUs into each other, considering the fact that I'm still trying to even consider going past the early 50's with this.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: October 25th, 2011, 2:11 am
[ img ]

CNS Atlantis (By now, only her and the similar CNS Olympus remain out of the class of 5 vessels). Complete overhaul, as with the battleships and battlecruisers remaining from WWI. 5.5" and 3" HA guns replaced by 5 twin 4"/45s, 3 twin 40mm Bofors and 8 single (original) 20mm Oerlikons. Torpedoes repositioned and added, new bow, new funnels, and new bridge to fir staff for operating a destroyer squadron.

As of now though, I need help with the radars, comms antennas, etc. Those have never been my forte. British and American designs would help. Once I learn more about them, I'll end up designing my own AU versions. Rigging will be worked out as soon as the radars and stuff that belong on the mast are put in. As of now too, these are in the works...

CNS Troy - CVL
CNS New Rotterdam - CB/BC
CNS Conroy (ex-Erstaz Yorck) - BC
CNS Cape Fear (ex-Macksensen) - BB
CNS Hunter (ex-Derrflinger) - CB
CNS Odyssey - CB
CNS Columbia/Berkshire (including top view) - BB
CNS Nieuw Utrecht - BB
CNS Hampshire - BB
CNS Camelot - CL
CNS Protector - AV
CNS Anteater - AM

A number of them are just conversions done of the same class of ship during and up to their entry into WWII. I am also thinking of transferring some to my other AU nations that are in the works.

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: November 7th, 2011, 3:31 am
The CNS Troy: 1943 Aircraft Carrier, WIP!!!!!!
[ img ]

As of now, I'm using British radar equipment taken straight from one of Bombhead's carriers.I'm still working on both views, so I will take any criticism or compliments you may have.

Air Component:
Republic F-5 Hunter (Real Life Enhanced P-47) x 24 - Fighter,Interceptor,Ground Attack
Fairey F-3 Firefly (Real Life Firefly with Centennial Designation) x 18 - Nightfighter,Heavy Fighter,Ground Attack
Vought F-2 Horizon (Real Life F5U with the bugs worked out) x 24 - Dive Bomber,Fighter,Ground Attack
Douglas TB-3 Skypirate (Real Life Skypirate with Centennial Designation) x 18-20 - Torpedo Bomber,Medium/High Level Bomber, Ground Attack, Transport, ASW

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: November 7th, 2011, 3:54 am
Having so much of the flight deck edge obstructed by turrets is a very bad idea. I would move all of them down a deck level.

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: November 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm
i agree too.

any accident can maybe destroy the guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: November 7th, 2011, 8:16 pm
I agree with erik_t. I would also suggest the following:
Higher funnels, or maybe combine them into one big USS Saratoga type funnel.
A bigger and higher island structure, especially higher, as you need height to better control flight operations.
Bigger elevators for the aircraft.
Last but more important, make the hull bigger, you have 84 aircraft in your airwing with a hull of a Colossus class carrier (which carried at most 24 aircraft). For the size of the hull see the Saratoga drawing or Japanese Akagi carrier.
Your drawing of your carrier from the top doesn't correspond exactly to the side view, for instance you have single 40mm guns on the top view, but these are missing from the side view.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: The Centennial AUPosted: November 7th, 2011, 11:49 pm
Would it be feasible to get rid of the Hunters and Fireflies and instead just run the number up of the F-2s to 30? That way I can get versatile aircraft that can perform well as a fighter and dive bomber. As for the gun mounts, I've started to lower them down.

But, as stated in the post with the drawing, neither view is yet complete. I'm working on improving the design as I see different problems arise from the top and the side views.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 9  [ 84 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: