Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 8  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Imperial Ethiopian NavyPosted: February 10th, 2012, 4:45 pm
You're missing the booster for the Harpoon missiles.

Other than that it looks fine to me. Is there a justification somewhere in that wall of text for the SSK?

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Imperial Ethiopian NavyPosted: February 10th, 2012, 5:45 pm
Colosseum wrote:
You're missing the booster for the Harpoon missiles.

Other than that it looks fine to me. Is there a justification somewhere in that wall of text for the SSK?
No. The Type 205s (two of them) are going to be bought in the late 70s as the PT boats go out of service. They'll be used against the Yemenis in '83.

I feel sorry for you, I agree you must have such terrible life, and no girl give you attention, The boys leaved because they were not having a safe feeling when beeing with you. Police never found you. Docters did suidice, because they where impressed you was not killed by birth :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Imperial Ethiopian NavyPosted: February 13th, 2012, 9:45 pm
[ img ]
Booster added. I might do some FD scale works next.

I feel sorry for you, I agree you must have such terrible life, and no girl give you attention, The boys leaved because they were not having a safe feeling when beeing with you. Police never found you. Docters did suidice, because they where impressed you was not killed by birth :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Imperial Ethiopian NavyPosted: February 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm
[ img ]
Actually not as much an AU aircraft as an IRL one. Ethiopia flew six Potez 25 fighter-bombers in the OTL Second Italo-Abyssinian War. The first ones delivered were the A2 rather than the TOE variant, which has a different and even more retro engine.

The Imperial Ethiopian Air Force, 1922-1945
The Imperial Ethiopian Air Force was a personal brainchild of Halie Selassie I himself. In 1922, as regent Ras Tafari Makonnen, he observed an RAF air show in Aden. Impressed by the planes, Ras Tafari asked if he could ride in one of the biplanes himself, proclaiming that it was very fitting that the regent of Abyssinia be the first Abyssinian to take flight. As a result of this, he constantly lobbied the imperial court for the creation of an air arm for the Ethiopian military. The Imperial Ethiopian Air Force was inaugurated on 19 August 1929, the day after the first Potez 25-A2 arrived in Addis Ababa. Mishka Babitchef, a second-generation Russian immigrant (his father was a former officer at the Czarist diplomatic mission before deserting), became Ethiopia's first fighter pilot and the first chief of the Imperial Ethiopian Air Force. A Junkers W33c arrived on 5 September, along with two more biplanes.

Since the Ethiopian Air Force owed its existence to Halie Selassie and was staffed initially by naturalized foreigners instead of native Ethiopians, he could count on the absolute loyalty of the Air Force. This was a critical factor in its first combat engagement in the Battle of Anchem. As was the case the last time the palace reactionaries revolted, where the first tank in Abyssinia broke the siege of the besiegers of Menelik's mausoleum, the presence of biplanes, even with their underwhelming armament (one 8mm machine gun and a 200-kilogram bomb), their psychological effect was immense. Only a handful of Ethiopians knew what an airplane was, and still fewer have ever seen one, and absolutely none had ever experienced being strafed by warplanes. Although the strafing techniques were primitive and most of the bombs failed to hit troop concentrations, several passes completely broke the moral of Gugusa Welle's rebel army and caused a large number of soldiers to desert.

They would fly again in 1935, fighting the Regia Aeronautica. Many of the same planes that flew in 1930 flew against the Italians, although by this time a few native Ethiopians were pilots as well. Fuel and equipment shortages on the Italian side and the simple backwardness of the Ethiopians made the air war a sideshow, although during a battle in the last phases of the Eritrean theater the Potez 25s were able to rout an entire Italian askari regiment. By the conclusion of major combat in mid-1936 (Italian marines would try to land in Mogadishu twice in 1937 and fail), both air forces were grounded due to lack of supplies.

In the Second World War, the Ethiopian Air Force was again a minor combatant compared to the expeditionary army corps on the ground. The Air Force proper was modernized with Swedish and British assistance, receiving Gloster Gladiators and later Hurricanes and C-47s from the RAF while getting trainers and Saab 17 light bombers from the Swedes. Their only major combat of the IEAF was around North Africa, where new equipment and British training allowed them to demolish Regia Aeronautica units. The RAF also organized two bomber squadrons and a fighter squadron composed of Ethiopian flyers in late 1942, the No. 71, 121, and 133 (Abyssinian) Squadrons RAF, reusing squadron numbers freed with the transfer of the Eagle Squadrons to the USAAF. Based out of RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, they flew their Mosquitos and Spitfires in many of the later campaigns in North-West Europe. No. 71 Squadron flew at the head of several bomber streams, while No. 121 Squadron acted mostly as close support. The pilots who served in the RAF would later form the core of the Imperial Ethiopian Air Force in the Cold War.

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 17th, 2012, 7:31 pm
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
SHIPDUDE
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:08 am
The best linearted Ge'ez of all time!

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 20th, 2012, 11:01 pm
[ img ]

B17 from Sweden, in service from 1945 to 1963, when it was replaced by jet-powered things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 24th, 2012, 5:57 pm
[ img ]

female FT-17s have large imperial battle flags to boost the elan of supporting infantry

[Profile] [Quote]
Satirius
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 25th, 2012, 12:32 pm
Battle standard of the Empire of Ethiopia, devised in the middle of the Second Italo-Abyssinian War:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
SHIPDUDE
Post subject: Re: Empire of EthiopiaPosted: February 26th, 2012, 4:32 am
Yah mon! :lol: :roll: :D

This is a good AU!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 8  [ 74 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 8 »

Jump to: