Royal West Florida Navy (RWFN) 1950s:
Despite the S class destroyer Tomahawk decommissioning shortly after VE Day, the RWFN retained a fleet of eight ships after the Second World War. In addition to the sloop Pensacola, two Bathurst class corvettes & three Fairmile B coastal motor launches, the RWFN had acquired & modified two ex-RN Mk.6 LCTs, giving them an amphibious capability for the first time.
Below is the white ensign of the Royal West Florida Navy. The star was originally red. However, this was changed in 1950 when it was thought that the colour of the star could be confused with the red star on the naval ensign of soviet warships.
Terrapin Class Landing Craft:
The landing craft, tank (LCT) was an amphibious assault craft, initially developed by the British Royal Navy for landing tanks on beachheads. The original version was designed at the insistence of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. They were further developed during World War II by both the RN & USN. In 1943, the Mk.6 began production & over 950 were eventually completed, with many being procured by the RN under lend-lease.
In 1947 the US gifted West Florida two ex-RN lend-lease Mk.6 LCTs. After an overhaul & some minor modifications, the two vessels commissioned into the fleet in 1948, with the names Terrapin (L201) & Turtle (L202). They were armed with two 12.7mm machine guns & had a complement of twelve. To make way for the RWFN’s initial amphibious capability, the oldest of the Fairmile B coastal motor launches, Dolphin (P100), was decommissioned. Both Terrapin & Turtle had long careers in the RWFN, finally decommissioning in the early 1970s.