Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 12:12 am
Thiel wrote:
Three things:
1: Your prop guard looks like a random squiggle.
2: What is the purpose of the exposed deck next to the LRAD?
3: What are those random black lines on the front of the hull.
4: The red and green lights serves little purpose. Between you Sensors and you abundance of SatComs you have all the signalling capability you'll ever need. A simple Morse lamp is more than enough for visual signalling.
5: I'd be hard pressed to finds a worse spot for the liferafts. They are too close to the VLS and far away from where the crew is and you risk having them washed away in heavy weather.
6: I'd move the LRAD up on deck. It'll have a wider field of fire and be less exposed to seawater.
7: Why the sidemounted exhaust? As a command ship, it's primary "weapon" is its comm facilities, and with you current setup your antennas will be covered in exhaust.
1: I wasn't sure how I'd go about representing one. Do you know any drawings of prop guards on here? If so please post them and I'll gladly use them to replace all the "squiggles".
2: Nothing in particular.
3: I took those from the Miho's Halsey drawing for the Densky, and when I used Miho/Rabid Stoat's flight deck Burke as a base for the Bestia, they were already there. I'd guess they accentuate the bow shape.
4: Red and green lights removed. The forward lamp serves as both a spotlight/floodlight (focusable) and as a Morse lamp and fog-light (brightness can be controlled).
5: I'll make that deck section more accessible, and "too close to the VLS"? They are further away from the VLS than the lifeboats on a Burke are. The deck the lifeboats are on is at leat 28 feet above the waterline, less likely to be washed away than the ones placed on the Halsey. See also number 6.
6. Are you taking about the Densky or the Bestia?
7. The side-mounted exhaust is directed outward, away from the ship, and the comms are high up above the stacks on that rear mast.

8. If I seem to have misread anything you were saying, don't hesitate to clear it up.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 12:32 am
Nulka tends to go amidships; I suspect that this is important, as you want the new radar target to come out of the center of the old one.

You've used SeaRAM, with all-onboard radar. That's not necessary on a major combatant (certainly not something with Aegis!) - trade it out for the standard RAM box launcher with twice as many ready rounds.

A 5" gun would still be nice.

Satcom antennas don't need to be high above the deck, so there's really no reason for your mainmast to exist at all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 1:50 am
Wikipedia & Universe wrote:
1: I wasn't sure how I'd go about representing one. Do you know any drawings of prop guards on here? If so please post them and I'll gladly use them to replace all the "squiggles".
There's one on my drawing of A560 Ægir under Danish Real Designs, if has been uploaded yet. If not, it can be found in the Upload Session.
I'm sailing through a thunderstorm at the moment, so my connection is god-awful slow.
2: Nothing in particular.
Then why have it? It eats up internal volume, and that's always a premium on warships, and it becomes a big-ass radar reflector for Sea-Skimmers.
3: I took those from the Miho's Halsey drawing for the Densky, and when I used Miho/Rabid Stoat's flight deck Burke as a base for the Bestia, they were already there. I'd guess they accentuate the bow shape.
I've seen them there before as well. I've never been able to find out what they're for, and I think they are ugly.
Quote:
5: I'll make that deck section more accessible, and "too close to the VLS"? They are further away from the VLS than the lifeboats on a Burke are. The deck the lifeboats are on is at leat 28 feet above the waterline, less likely to be washed away than the ones placed on the Halsey. See also number 6.
The placement of lifeboats has always been a bit of a stick for me.
I believe that exposing liferafts to rocket exhaust, even though their casings are fire resistant, is something you should avoid if at all possible. At the same time, they should be placed where they are most accessible and best protected from the elements. On Bestia this is easily achieved by moving them aft to where you have a lifebuoy right now. That way you avoid a 50m run towards the most explosive part of your ship.
6. Are you taking about the Densky or the Bestia?
Bestia
7. The side-mounted exhaust is directed outward, away from the ship, and the comms are high up above the stacks on that rear mast.
That's all very well, until the wind starts blowing. Unless you have an extremely high exhaust pressure, in which case you ship will light up like a Christmas tree on even the most basic IR equipment, even light winds will waft the gasses back onto the ship.
And even if the sensor interference is is minimal, there's still the fact that exhaust gasses contains some pretty toxic compounds. Not something you want to expose your crew to on a daily basis.
And then there's all the maintenance issues. The most obvious is how to get the turbines out for periodic overhauls. On more conventional ships you pull the stack off and take them out that way. On your ship, the compartments above the engine room either have to be designed to be taken apart, which restricts what they can be used for, or you'll have to take the engines out sideways. A tricky operation on the best of days.
8. If I seem to have misread anything you were saying, don't hesitate to clear it up.
You seem to have it covered.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 2:35 am
erik_t wrote:
Nulka tends to go amidships; I suspect that this is important, as you want the new radar target to come out of the center of the old one.

You've used SeaRAM, with all-onboard radar. That's not necessary on a major combatant (certainly not something with Aegis!) - trade it out for the standard RAM box launcher with twice as many ready rounds.

A 5" gun would still be nice.

Satcom antennas don't need to be high above the deck, so there's really no reason for your mainmast to exist at all.
I can't really put the Nulka amidships because the superstructure is in the way. Changed the SeaRAM to a RAM though.

And @Thiel I did some work with the exhaust and deleted the exposed deck, but I see nowhere on either of the ships where the lifeboats are too near the VLS or would be exposed to rocket exhaust unless the VLS exploded and sprayed a tsunami of burning rocket fuel backwards, which is highly unlikely. Also take into account that there are non-rigid blowup rafts carried inside like on subs in case the lifeboats are rendered inoperable.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:15 am
="Wikipedia & Universe" wrote:
And @Thiel I did some work with the exhaust
Doesn't solve your problem. In fact, you've just made a new one. Namely that you'll need an identical stack on the other side, exacerbating the exhaust problem and the maintenance problems, or you'll have to halve your power plant.
and deleted the exposed deck,

Good
but I see nowhere on either of the ships where the lifeboats are too near the VLS

On the Bestia you have them just outboard of the VLS, that's about as close as they can get.
On the Densky, your problem is that you can't get to them during routine maintenance (RDN procedures calls for weekly checks), let alone an emergency. And yes, I realize that they'll inflate by themselves, but a "wet" evacuation is the absolute worst case scenario
or would be exposed to rocket exhaust unless the VLS exploded and sprayed a tsunami of burning rocket fuel backwards, which is highly unlikely.

Another thing I just realized. The one emergency we're you'll arguably need your rafts the most is if the VLS were hit, or a misfire cause a chain-reaction. Another good reason to get them away from there.
Also, why does the Densky have two types of AShMs? And two that are pretty much equal at that.
Also take into account that there are non-rigid blowup rafts carried inside like on subs in case the lifeboats are rendered inoperable.
Why not just put your liferafts where they won't get blown to bits in the first place and save the weight?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:35 am
[ img ]

Made the following suggestions:

- hull shape changed to make it less obviously Burke-derived
- rear mast deleted; proper stack put in its place
- RAM launcher added on top of hangar deck; gun now moved to where those men standing to attention for some reason are (which is why it's hard to see)
- proper prop guard added

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 4:18 am
Perhaps Nulka is bulkier than you think. There's plenty of space for it literally anywhere except on top of the SLQ-32. Put it abeam the no-longer-functional aft-facing windows.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 6:27 am
klagldsf wrote:
[ img ]

Made the following suggestions:

- hull shape changed to make it less obviously Burke-derived
- rear mast deleted; proper stack put in its place
- RAM launcher added on top of hangar deck; gun now moved to where those men standing to attention for some reason are (which is why it's hard to see)
- proper prop guard added
Wow, thanks. You just saved me a lot of work.

However, I wanted to keep the comms so I worked with the two to produce a better one, but again thanks for taking out the major suggestions. Also so that's what Thiel meant by a prop guard. That squiggle wasn't mine then.

My update:
  • Expanded the exhaust section and brought back the SatComms.
  • Added stack shielding
  • Moved the Mk25 mod 0 up near the LRAD (good to have your aural warning system and your firepower close together, in case your verbal warnings and earsplitting siren isn't enough).

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:02 pm
Definitely improving. I'd definitely say Nulka might be your only remaining sticking point. BTW, didn't even realize Nulka could be launched from Mk 41 until this came along :p

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 3:30 pm
I assume you're being sarcastic; I don't believe it can. I guess it's probably possible in principle, but god only knows why you'd want to.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: