Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 46 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Go to page « 144 45 46 47 48137 »
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 6:02 am
Well, if it helps ease the tension of your current issue, your BB has a nice blend of 20's tech and in the case of your aft mast, a great futuristic look. Good luck with your hard drive!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 6:47 am
Sorry to hear that about your hard drive. I'm not at all savvy when it comes to this stuff, but as a matter of essential practice I work only from a memory stick, which I then back up onto my hard drive, and I also, back that onto a second stick (when I can remember to do all this :lol: ).

[Profile] [Quote]
nigevids
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 1:04 pm
If it is just a drive that has died from old age then depending on how much the value of the information on the drive is worth to you in dollar terms it is probably recoverable. If it has been struck by lightning and is now like something ALVAMA would draw in steampunk then it is probably unrecoverable.

Keep up the good work in this thread, you have done wonders here that shame the other threads in this AU Forum.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Considering the drive had everything on it, including family and vacation pics, wedding pics, my entire AU nation (nearly 10 years worth of stuff), everything from my sci-fi group, pretty much my life for the last few years ... I may well have to do whatever is necessary to recover it

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 3:32 pm
This is a good read for you Zephyr: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... ps/4294038

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Most computer service places can recover hard drive data if it fails. Normally the information is all still there, it just requires more advanced methods to recover than most of us have access to. Good luck.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 4:27 pm
And back to the ships for a moment...

Alright, changed out the ships boats for some different ones and included a "captains gig" in there as well. I also plunked a catapult on top of main gun #3 to see how that would look. Not bad I don't think. Just one problem... I can't figure where would be a good place to put the crane that would be necessary for it to actually be operational.

[ img ]

I've also been working on a predecessor class, the King Malcolm class. The tentative back story I've worked out is that the King Malcolms were originally supposed to be a class of six, all armed with twin 16" turrets. Here's out it plays out:
In 1912 the BB Sanxay Straits was laid down as a "super-dreadnaught" designed to carry 8 triple 14" turrets. With tensions rising between the Empire and the German Alliance, the Admiralty decided to try and speed construction by using existing twin 12" turrets instead of waiting for the new 14" guns to be built. This left the navy with 8 triple 14" turrets with nowhere to go. In 1914 the first two units of the King Malcolm class were laid down. Unfortunately, there were delays in the development of the even newer twin 16"/45 guns, so in order to speed construction it was decided to use the excess 14" guns and arm the King Malcolm and Earl of Belfair with them. The remaining four ships, which became the King Robert class, then received the planned twin 16's later as they became available, and construction on them was slowed to allow for this, and to permit construction on cruisers and destroyers to take precedence during the war, which meant that the King Roberts were not commissioned until 1920-22. As the King Malcolms and King Roberts were initially one class, they are identical except for their main armament. (A bit like how the USN Tennessee and Colorado classes were outwardly identical, and which differed only in main guns as well)

[ img ]

Last edited by Zephyr on April 4th, 2012, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Most computer service places can recover hard drive data if it fails. Normally the information is all still there, it just requires more advanced methods to recover than most of us have access to. Good luck.
Yeah, that is true. We have a couple friends who are computor whizes, so I am hoping one of them will be able to wave his magic techno-wand :P and recover whats on there.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Grays Harbor DesignsPosted: April 4th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Cranes: the only realistic option would seem to be two, one on either side of the aft conning tower. Ugly, but would work.

I like the "King Malcolm", that extra hull length really makes them look much better.

Best of luck recovering your hard drive...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 46 of 137  [ 1362 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 144 45 46 47 48137 »

Jump to: