Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 2:49 pm
this line of design is an 'AU neverbuild' series, and only the final version will get in the wingedheroes thread. they are all interesting designs though, so I put it in here. I also include the entire background story here, so you guys get also an good insight in how the utopian way of designing works (and in that way, why some ships I use for the AU look weird or don't function perfectly)

After the First utopian war, the freedom navy was initiated. This naval force would be build up around at least 4 new light aircraft carriers, the 2 Elvira class cruisers, and 4 new ships for the air defence of this fleet. This core could be expanded for any mission needed, but the ‘core fleets’ (one on the Atlantic, one on the pacific) would be self sustaining and could defend itself against any thread. The new air defence ships would be the Mjolnir class, which was first build as a modified version of the Elvira class. Instead of a large amount of gun arnament, 2 modified Mk 13 launchers were placed on board, and the command facilities were replaced by the radar and computer systems to cover a fleet.
[ img ]

New developments made this design obsolete though, even before construction was started. The design team started over, and incorporated the new UVLS-1 vertical launch system in the design. This was still an experimental system though, so it was considerably larger than the compact Mk 13. This limited the missile capacity to 32 cells on the entire ship, and the launchers had to be placed in line with the keel. For some reason, the APAR system was not chosen in the end, and instead there had to be used MGSX directors (which were designed to replace the STIR on future ships) these directors were based on the same phased array technology as the APAR, but could rotate instead of standing in an solid mast. While this system was lighter and cheaper, it had the disadvantage of vulnerability. The entire ship had to be redesigned for these systems, but the result was way more powerful than the original concept. Apart from the limited missile supply, it could rival with the US navy AEGIS ships.
[ img ]

The keel of the first ship was already laid, when the plans changed again. This time for the carriers: instead of 4 small assault carriers, 2 heavy fleet carriers would be build, with capabilities to defend themselves. The Mjolnir class had lost its role! The freedom navy had to make its choice: build only 2 of these ships, or make 4 new ships which would be more capable but cheaper. And the freedom forces needed these new ships fast! Because of the limitations of the current hull, there was looked to shipbuilding projects of allies. The Dutch LCF program looked promising, and the shipyard proposed a lengthened LCF, with a 64 cell UVLS-1. This program would not give the final ship before 2003, and the first Mjolnir class had to be operational in 2000, so in the end this design was also not chosen.
[ img ]

To be continued in later posts, when I have finished the other 3 designs. please comment.

Last edited by acelanceloet on May 2nd, 2011, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 2:50 pm
Great serie!

[Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 10:08 am
just found out that I forgot to post this one....

inspiration was found in the Dutch LCF programme though, and an new hull design was proposed, where they could place the systems of the 2nd concept and the 64 VLS cells of the 3rd. the aft cells were removed though, to create more helicopter capability to catch up the decrease in air capacity, caused by the change in carrier plans. this ship was considered an failed mix of helicarrier and air defence, because it had an too low capacity (only 48 VLS and 2 heavy or 3 light helicopters) for both tasks. the hull design was successful though, so an lengthened version of it was carried over to the next concept, and was also proposed for the multirole destroyer project, which lead to the fictional heroes class.
[ img ]
the last 2 are on a hold currently, they will come soon toghether with the rest of the story

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 11:12 am
extra helicopter capacity was needed though, so the choice was made to build an DDH/ light helicarrier on this hull. this gave more helicopter abilities and less air defence posibilities then specified, so this design was again an dead end. (and an ugly one, I have to say)
[ img ]
after this, there were 3 more options:
- an through deck cruiser which could do air defence and would carry helicopters for other missions, and, if needed, some VTOL aircraft.
- an full carrier, designed around CATOBAR aircraft, which would have self defence weapons on board and would rely on it's aircraft and helicopters for other roles.
- go back to the normal cruiser/destroyer weapons fit and loose most if not all helicopter capabilities.

the third option was discarded: the utopian navy saw the need for an standard multirole destroyer instead of this heavy air defence destroyer. the multirole would become the fictional heroes class, which would be cheaper so it could be build in large numbers. so since this decision was made, the mjolnir class would be an light (assault) aircraft carrier.

* note for now: I will now start on these last 2 concepts, of which one will become the eventual mjolnir class, which was build and used by the freedom forces

Last edited by acelanceloet on August 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 11:21 am
The box launcher on the stern looks very crude compared to the rest of the ship

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am
Thiel wrote:
The box launcher on the stern looks very crude compared to the rest of the ship
hmm, shall take a look at it. that was one of the first parts I made for winged heroes, so I shall try to improve it a bit :P
any other comments? (mostly design and story wise, I know these ships don't have the greatest details and that there are quite a few things on it that won't work well, I treat them as conceptual drawings, try new things etc..... seeing that they are 'AU neverbuild'. especially in the case of the last one: there is an reason it was not even build in the AU ;) )

EDIT: detailed the ASM launcher a bit

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 11:36 am
Maybe put the aft gun on a sponsoon. That would give you a somewhat sheltered spot behind the superstructure where you can park the ready helicopter.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 12:22 pm
Thiel wrote:
Maybe put the aft gun on a sponsoon. That would give you a somewhat sheltered spot behind the superstructure where you can park the ready helicopter.
but that would also force me to add another gun for all around coverage. so I don't think that is an good idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm
No it wouldn't, unless it's on the port side of the ship that is. Both guns have some 200 degrees coverage as is. Moving the aft one out in line with the superstructure won't change this.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: mjolnir class for the wingedheroes AUPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 2:11 pm
ow wait you mean that way..... hmmm..... I'll take a look. the structure is only partially on the sponson, so there wouldn't be created enough space to park that helicopter, though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: