Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 14  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 13 14 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 25th, 2011, 10:46 am
[ img ]
I'm not entirely happy with the at mast, so I'll probably change i again, I'm just not sure how. It has to be back there to accommodate the wire aerials, yet it also has to forwards of the AA director (The small tub next to it) so it doesn't obscure its view and at the same time I want to keep as much of the midship deck free for mine work.
I may also lessen the stern overhang to better accommodate minelaying.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 25th, 2011, 6:30 pm
Go for it Alvama! Awesome work, Tanth!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 11:14 am
[ img ]
Another update.
I had to loose the 8mm in order to accommodate the boats. Since this ship has to be able to land a fair contingent of troops I had to use a fairly large boat. I'll probably find a way to get them back on board.
As you can see on the top view I've added minerails. They will obviously interfere with the 20mm guns and as a result they can't be used while the ship carries a full mine load.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm
So yours doubles as a troop transport and minelayer? Nice!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Not quite. It's primary mission is patrolling off Greenland, Iceland, Faroe islands, the Danish East Indies and a few small possessions in Asia. (It's part of an AU where Denmark retains those islands and some of it's trading stations around the world) To do that effectively it carries a small complement of troops. I'm not sure exactly how many, but between 20 and 40 sounds right. This is also why it has as much range as it does.
The mainlaying is a very Danish thing. At the time literally all RDN ships could lay mines, so when I realized just how much deck-space I wold have on this design I couldn't resist adding minerails.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 4:18 pm
I've made a few changes to my SS for the Lithenian version though I've not been able to do much on it due to a bout of food poisoning. Thought I'd upload what I have so far.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 6:17 pm
[ img ]
Further updates.
The 8mm MGs have made a comeback, this time on the main deck. The sideview is almost finished now and the topview is coming along nicely.
The small rectangles behind the guns are ammo hoists.
Have anyone done a topview of the depth charge rail? It's the one from the RN weapons sheet. If someone has a topview of the Bofors that would also be nice.
The directors are pure fantasy, but they do share their general dimensions with real ones.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 10:02 pm
[ img ]
And the sideview is done. Considering that this is my first keel-up AU ship I think it has gone rather well.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 11:09 pm
Looks absolutely awesome Thiel!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1936 Patrol Gunboat/FrigatePosted: September 26th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Thank you. I'm considering a couple of wartime upgrades, namely replacing the main guns with British 4" DP guns, 20mm Madsen with Oerlikon, mines with DC throwers, fitting hedgehog forward and fitting it with British radar and FC

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 14  [ 131 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 13 14 »

Jump to: