Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:21 pm
The easy solution would seem to be to store the weapons flat and erect them only in pairs for launch.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: February 28th, 2012, 9:30 pm
erik_t wrote:
The easy solution would seem to be to store the weapons flat and erect them only in pairs for launch.
Actually IRL it'd probably be a VLS bay of some sort. I've only seen them shipped in VLS cells. I was just talking with odysseus1980 about that - he was interested in using my launcher design but in the end he'd probably be better off designing a boat around the same type of cells they use on Talwar. When they refit the Rajputs and Godavaris with BrahMos I'd imagine they'd rip out the fore V-125/SA-N-8 SAM launchers and replace those with BahMos VLS cells as opposed to designing a canister launcher to directly replace the P-15 launch canisters.

This really was an exercise to illustrate a point and just for fun, to come up with the smallest hull that would still float and shoot - it'd be practical, but really just barely.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: February 29th, 2012, 3:14 pm
VLS seems unlikely in that the missiles are just so damned long. Vertical firing, perhaps, but on a ship this size I'd expect the launch tubes to be stowed horizontally and erected to fire.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: February 29th, 2012, 5:49 pm
erik_t wrote:
VLS seems unlikely in that the missiles are just so damned long. Vertical firing, perhaps, but on a ship this size I'd expect the launch tubes to be stowed horizontally and erected to fire.
Hmmm, good point.

And definitely agreed on how a VLS BrahMos missile boat would have to be much bigger - that's another thing I pointed out to odysseus1980. Actually, that might be my next project ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 12:32 am
Nice little ship! But I think Brahmos is overkill for a ship this size, this is a better option if you insist in using Supersonic SSM.
[ img ]
(The bottom two)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 12:59 am
The idea of this thread was to create a missile boat that could ship BrahMos.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Battleship in a Bottle: BrahMos Missile BoatPosted: March 2nd, 2012, 2:57 pm
I think the little antenna on the Brahmos truck launcher is just a data-link. A larger surveillance radar would be needed to use them on a ship. Of course, you could data-link to another vessel.

I wouldn't recommend raiseable launchers - they will be heavier than the fixed canister type, which are deployed in pairs on INS Rajput anyway. And this is quite apart from any stability issues.

I wonder, if you ditched the CIWS - which won't be much good with no FCR - could you fit 2x2 launchers on each side, using the entire length of the hull? Not sure how effective it would be on such a small hull, though.

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: