Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:25 am
Well, on the parts sheet, it was the most "lifeboat" looking thing... So... I'll probably use one of those.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 5:33 am
[ img ]
Better?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:13 am
Canadai wrote:
[ img ]
Better?
*shrugs* for the time being, yes. BTW, that raft is meant for special forces, it is NOT a lifeboat.

I wouldn't have it so close to the funnel though, especially since I was kinda seeing it as having two funnels on the ends of the beam (this ship would probably be powered by two smaller gas turbines, like Rolls Royce Adours, or two diesels of similar output). Typically you launch boats off the stern, but then we have to come to a decision - do we want the stern ramp or do we want a helicopter pad?

Also, if at this point you're satisfied with the superstructure and detail, now would be the earliest to start thinking about weapons fit. I'm thinking, probably the OTO 76mm, which is a good, rapid-fire gun, probably the smallest legitimate "ship-killing" gun out there but still appropriate for smaller vessels like the one its mounted on. Another good option is the Mk 110 57mm, which won't be punching through destroyer hulls but will tear up small craft, and most importantly, will scare the crap out of any drug smugglers or people otherwise wandering in where they shouldn't be.

You also have a lot of missile options. For anti-air work though, ESSM will be the biggest you can fit. It's actually a very good missile, but it's doubtful a ship like this will have the sensors and tracking capability to really use it to its fullest potential - but it is still a "self-defense" class missile. Alternatively you can use regular Sparrow but they're falling out of favor even for vessels like this. As for ASMs, you have a much wider range of options, and I think you're smart enough to not just plop Shipwrecks where ever you feel like.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:19 am
klagldsf wrote:
Canadai wrote:
[ img ]
Better?
*shrugs* for the time being, yes. BTW, that raft is meant for special forces, it is NOT a lifeboat.

I wouldn't have it so close to the funnel though, especially since I was kinda seeing it as having two funnels on the ends of the beam (this ship would probably be powered by two smaller gas turbines, like Rolls Royce Adours, or two diesels of similar output). Typically you launch boats off the stern, but then we have to come to a decision - do we want the stern ramp or do we want a helicopter pad?

Also, if at this point you're satisfied with the superstructure and detail, now would be the earliest to start thinking about weapons fit. I'm thinking, probably the OTO 76mm, which is a good, rapid-fire gun, probably the smallest legitimate "ship-killing" gun out there but still appropriate for smaller vessels like the one its mounted on. Another good option is the Mk 110 57mm, which won't be punching through destroyer hulls but will tear up small craft, and most importantly, will scare the crap out of any drug smugglers or people otherwise wandering in where they shouldn't be.

You also have a lot of missile options. For anti-air work though, ESSM will be the biggest you can fit. It's actually a very good missile, but it's doubtful a ship like this will have the sensors and tracking capability to really use it to its fullest potential - but it is still a "self-defense" class missile. Alternatively you can use regular Sparrow but they're falling out of favor even for vessels like this. As for ASMs, you have a much wider range of options, and I think you're smart enough to not just plop Shipwrecks where ever you feel like.
Well, I want it to have some decent punch behind it for border sovereignty work, so I'd probably go with the 76 over the 57. As for missiles, I know absolutely jack shit. I'll go add the teeth now.

And yes, I know it's not a lifeboat. I'm using it as the ship's boat.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:01 am
Current Revision:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:11 am
Well, the two major SSMs in the Western world is the trusty old Harpoon and the Exocet. They're about equal in terms of performance and they pack a big punch. There's also the lesser know Swedish RBS-15, the Norwegian Naval Strike Missile and the Italian Otomat. These are again roughly equal to the Harpoon, though the NSM is somewhat more stealthy than its competitors.
These are all subsonic and fairly big. I tend to think of them as "full-sized" missiles.
If you want supersonic, there's the Taiwanese Heisung Feng 3, though I don't believe it's up for export.
If you consider these to be too big, there's also a number of "half-sized" missiles like the Israeli Gabriel and the Norwegian Penguin.
And if you think they are too big, there's also "pint-sized" missiles, though these are mostly speculative.
The Norwegians played around with a navalized Hellfire at some point and I believe TOW has been considered at some point.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:23 am
[ img ]
I chose the penguin because I judged it to be the best on that fit comfortably. Not because I like penguins, totally not that.

Also, can my Goalkeepers engage surface targets (e.g. zergrush of speedboats)?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am
Canadai wrote:
And yes, I know it's not a lifeboat. I'm using it as the ship's boat.
Something like this wouldn't have a "ship's boat." It's small enough it would be its own ship's boat - the captain can pull the whole damn thing dockside and debark with everyone else. The RHIB you have there is a tactical insertion vehicle.

The Goalkeepers won't fit. Way too narrow beam, probably too shallow hull draft too. There are other weapons better built for the purpose, some even come in remote weapon station form.

The OTO 76, in fact, has a fast enough rate of fire that you don't even need to worry about speedboat rushes - and why is everyone concerned about that all of a sudden anyway? Are people suddenly becoming collectively retarded now?

Last edited by klagldsf on August 22nd, 2010, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 7:58 am
OK, removing those. What other guns would make good point-defense? With the OTO as the only armament the entire back arc is naked.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Port Hard ClassPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:00 am
Canadai wrote:
I've removed that, but I'm not going to upload to photobucket for such a minor change.
There are so many things that it's honestly hard for me to collect my thoughts, so I'm adding them in as I think of them.

Set the gun directly onto the deck. You don't need a raised position like that. That seems to be another "fad" that's cropped up among newbies.

Your ESSM VLS launchers will need work - I'm just not sure exactly what right now. I'll have to come back to you on that.

You do not mount Penguin launchers on top of the superstructure. That's where sensors go. Put them on the fantail (the very back of the ship).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: