Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 »
Mabuse1
Post subject: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 10:45 am
Hi everybody,
I found your page & forum some weeks ago and really liked it! As I am planning a fictional roster for the New Zealand armed forces in my spare time lately, and was getting into the details as well, I thought it would be nice to make a picture of the text-based ideas to bring a little bit more alive.

Maybe you people are interested in it ;-)

It's basically a multi-purpose-frigate. Its rather small as I didn't want to make such a huge ship for a rather small nation. Should be cost-efficient you know. I always wonder why they use so many different missile launchers on ships, when whith a VLS you can engage nearly every type of thread. So I used a big VLS and Missiles for every aspect of sea warfare (despite land attack. My armed forces are homeland defence-only. but thats only a question of a differenc VLS container...)
Besides that I used every defence equipment possible and a small canon for intimidating foreign fishermen etc.

The main idea is having a fleet of rather small but heavy armed ships that could destroy or at least scare off a large invasion fleet.

Hope you like it, comments are welcome!

[ img ]

Width is actually 13 m, thats a mistake in the picture...

Last edited by Mabuse1 on October 26th, 2012, 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 10:48 am
Well, first thing you need to do is find a image host that doesn't resize your images.
There's several tutorials available on the forum

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 11:08 am
Done :-)

Now its the original 1.150px × 385px

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 11:12 am
Second thing, you should post in Beginner Drawings Forum ( This is a forum for newbies and beginners to post their first designs. )

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Next you remove all the anti aliasing.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm
Rhade wrote:
Second thing, you should post in Beginner Drawings Forum ( This is a forum for newbies and beginners to post their first designs. )
Maybe the Mod could be so nice and shift this topic to beginner forum... :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 5:28 pm
Since this is a vessel of your own imagination I don't think you should be worried about conforming exactly to Shipbucket standards - though at a certain point it would become more appropriate to post it in Non-Shipbucket drawings. However it'd be nice if you could remove the missile effects so we can better view the ship as a whole.

Anyway, this is rather small even for a frigate - it would be more akin to a large corvette. And having Tomahawks is rather bizarre since I've never heard of a ship this size having much of an offensive mission profile. Otherwise, an interesting large corvette.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carnac
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 5:53 pm
It looks like you're trying to cram a hangar, RHIB bay and funnel in the same space. It's cool looking but not standard, you may wish to fix that. And you don't have missiles above the SeaRAMs

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 7:36 pm
It would be ok if it's a single helicopter hangar (which looks to be the case) and is diesel-powered...though that's an awfully large funnel for such a ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mabuse1
Post subject: Re: Kiwi Class Missile FrigatePosted: October 26th, 2012, 7:51 pm
Hi there!

Thanx for the reply. I am working on a new picture, improvements etc.

The idea was to have a lot of offensive power in a small boat. originally I wasn*'t going for a hangar, but I think I will stay with it at the moment. teh hangar is on the backboard side, and the boat is on the starboard, thats how I hope it works out. Maybe the hangar is for drones only? Sitll not sure about that...

About the missiles: I wanted to have only one kind of missile launcher, not a VLS and a Exocet or something like that. So using the strike-lenght module is only a matter of height, thats why the VLS is not on the normal deck height. why use more than one system when its not necessary after all.

The next thing is I dont see why the ship has to be 125 m or something. I wonder a lot why so big ships have only few weapons... It doesnt need to have a around-the-world capability, only defense of home waters. I think a small, fast, cheap ship would be best. you could sink a destroyer with just one missile, so why build such a large ship...

EDIT: I think you should not forget this isn't a NATO member. World policeing isn't a task that this ship is build for. But I absolutely open for discussion!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: