Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2241 »
erik_t
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 11th, 2014, 4:52 pm
LordBladaime wrote:
Will you please just give me a chance at proving my worth? Seriously! When I started this project I already knew it was going to be a challenge, but when I see a challenge I don't back down! I am going to finish what I started. Just give me a chance that is all I am asking.
It's not because the thing you're trying to do is hard, or because you are bad at it.

It's because the thing you're trying to do is fundamentally very, very stupid. You cannot do it well. It cannot be done well. It is intrinsically stupid for a wide variety of fundamental scientific and engineering reasons.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 11th, 2014, 5:06 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Just to expand on a point Shippy made, I think you could probably argue that the WWII Kriegsmarine ultimately saw more use from the Deutschland class than the Bismarck class (not sure about where Scharnhorst and Admiral Hipper-classes fit in there, but they seem to be in between the two) - the heavier ships didn't seem to get results proportionate to the increased cost, possibly because, facing the Allies, they were always going to be so thoroughly outnumbered that the combat environment was essentially r-selecting the ships - and think of the number of Deutschland-class ships you could build for the cost of an H45...
I tend to agree with you, but simple cost per unit to the German navy is not the only calculation. Germany was practicing a fleet in being strategy which the mere presence of some sort of naval threat demanded a disproportionate counter effort by an adversary to guarantee containment, even more disproportionate for a foe like Britain that relied exclusively on the maritime domain. So you might be able to build a half dozen cruisers for one Tirpitz, but the British built/operated/maintained dozens of battleships, cruisers destroyers, carriers and aircraft squadrons just to counter her. And that was just with her sitting in port!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 11th, 2014, 5:17 pm
We have given you 20 pages of chances to prove your worth...

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 11th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Hi LordBladaime,

As others have said, it's not possible to do an H45 well, because the concept is fundamentally dumb. That's not a comment on you at all - the only way you can do this concept "well", if such a phrase is appropriate, is to roll with the joke, like lazer_one did. The only problem with that, is that lazer_one's already done that joke (very well, I might add) - so you've got a really high bar to pass on something that's very hard to do anyway.

Shipright - I get what you're saying, and it's a perfectly valid point, but given the use the KM got out of the ships I still think they'd have been better off with six (twelve if you're not going to build Bismarck, say) cruisers making a dash into the Atlantic and wreaking some havoc than with Tirpitz stuck in a fjord somewhere soaking up not only it's own resources but that of other screening units, too...

Regards,
Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 12th, 2014, 12:16 am
Perhaps, also remember Germany had a limited number if slips too so 12 cruisers might not be an option. When I play HOI I immediately cancel all BBs unless they are over 90% not because I need more steel for cruisers but rather tanks on the eastern front :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 12th, 2014, 12:47 am
Not to get too off topic, but more U-boat would have been more valuable for Germany than more cruisers or a battleship.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 12th, 2014, 4:51 pm
okay Okay I am just doing this for fun because I love German ww2 battleships I am not going to make these real because it would be completely pointless to build a super large battleship for a world that does not use battleships any more. I just want to be like you all because the ship designs you all make are really really cool and I wanted designs I make to be a part of it too. that's all I want nothing more.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 12th, 2014, 4:55 pm
we are not saying you cannot do that! however, every idiot can draw an monster battleship, but not everyone can make a ship that looks possible and would actually work. this takes skill and knowledge, which you can actually train by doing real ships in the shipbucket scale.

[Profile] [Quote]
LordBladaime
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 13th, 2014, 8:09 pm
guys you wont believe this but here you go

the newly de-craped version of KM Fuhrer

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: battleships for my 4th reich AKA New World United CommunPosted: March 13th, 2014, 9:32 pm
Non working image I'm afraid

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 41  [ 402 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2241 »

Jump to: