Have not posted here in a long time. What if the US had modernized the Des Moines class CAs instead of (or in addition to) the Iowa BBs? Here is what it might have looked like.
I used Midnightnova's Salem drawing that is posted here and modified it as such:
- Aft 8" and centerline 5" removed to install dual hangars for H-3 type helo (likely type that the ship would use in a flagship role ca. 1980).
- All 3" removed
- Aft 8" rangefinder removed, SPQ-9 installed in its place
- Removed all 5" rangefinders except forward unit
- Installed SLQ-32(v)3
- Installed OE-82 SATCOM
- Installed two Mod 0 CIWS amidships (p/s)
- Installed two quad Harpoon launchers (p/s)
- Installed four quad ABLs (two aft and two amidships)
- Removed all masts and replaced foremast with 1980s era lattice mast, with SPS-49 and SPS-67
- Installed NATO Sea Sparrow atop hangar (this assumes they can handle the 8" overpressure - which is why they were not installed on the BBs).
- Other minor updates and cleanup (i.e. aircraft crane, old style lifeboats, etc.)
It is a pretty straightforward conversion.