Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 14  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 714 »
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 4:49 pm
Rurik-2 wrote:
It is interesting to others: why other German Battlecruisers - named without "VON"?
I don't know for sure but my guess is that the ship name "Von der Tann" is supposed to indicate that she was named after a person, not a place. As it happens there are a few places in Germany named Tann (which is not the case with Moltke, Seydlitz and the others) so I suppose the prefix "von der" was kind of a must to tell the difference.
Rurik-2 wrote:
Von der Tann or von der Tann?????
Again, I can't tell for sure but thinking logically the first letter of a name (a ship name in our case) should be capital. So I think "Von der Tann" is the correct spelling.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:02 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Rurik-2 wrote:
Again, I can't tell for sure but thinking logically the first letter of a name (a ship name in our case) should be capital. So I think "Von der Tann" is the correct spelling.
But it isn't. In German, von is never spelled with a capital letter, even in the few instances where it appears as the first word in a sentence.
It's the same as the French d'A...

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Either way I think we can agree that V/von der Tan is one of the most amusing names ever given to a German warship :)

[Profile] [Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:10 pm
Thiel wrote:
WhyMe wrote:
Rurik-2 wrote:
But it isn't. In German, von is never spelled with a capital letter, even in the few instances where it appears as the first word in a sentence.
It was merely a guess :)
Yet a quick research shows that the name spelled with lower case "v" in German sources, while every other language source spells it with a capital "V". Go figure :?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the people who named her has a better idea about how to spell it than whoever did the translating.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Rurik-2
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:28 pm
Thiel wrote:
Do not confuse the name of the ship and the person's name.
La Classe Bougainville est un type d'aviso colonial:
Le PG-79 D'Entrecasteaux
Le PG-82 D'Iberville

[Profile] [Quote]
Rurik-2
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:32 pm
VON DER TANN - is correct. :))))))

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:33 pm
Okay, so my French is rotten. I'm still right about von.
And every single German site I've visited, except for wikipedia, agrees with me.
Rurik-2 wrote:
VON DER TANN - is correct. :))))))
No it's not. von der Tann is. The RN also write the ships names in all capitals on the ships, but everywhere else it's written normally.
Nowhere have I seen anything to suggest that this wasn't the case with the Hoch See Flotte

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: March 30th, 2011, 5:48 pm
shall be written with small "v" I think.

I have an (type) inheritance cup, dating from far back in my family in Germany and it says "Gerhard von Heuser" in addition to Coat of arms and a date from sometime in the 1800s.

so i think it shuld have small "v"

from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von):
"The prefix "von" is not capitalized in German speaking countries, unless it begins a sentence – for instance, "A book by von Humboldt", but "Von Humboldt wrote this book."

This is in contrast to Dutch Van, which in the north (Netherlands) is capitalized when standing alone (unless part of a clause), and in the south (Belgium) is always capitalized – for instance, "A paper by Van der Waals", though "The van der Waals radius", and "The politician Eric Van Rompuy.""

[Profile] [Quote]
Rurik-2
Post subject: Re: Kaiserliche Marine. HOCHSEEFLOTTEPosted: April 1st, 2011, 8:30 am
Battlecruiser Mackensen

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 14  [ 131 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 714 »

Jump to: