Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
candycane63
Post subject: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 15th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Good Morning Members..My first time on this site and its interesting.I was searching the history of our familys shipyard "Ballard Marine Railways" and knowing that Grandpa and Dad, built quite a few British Mine Sweepers during WW2, including the Calypso and John Waynes Wild Goose..As a youngster, l played on the Mine Sweepers as they were built. I have tried to locate a means in this site to contact Lazer (member) without success (l'am new and don't know yet how to navigate here) We have yard pictures of the Mine Sweepers, history etc if anyone needs information..In the 70's l called Jac.Cousteau and invited him to put on a show for us skin divers.He came and did so, Wonderful guy.Gave him lots of pictures/drawings etc on the Calypso. Have also been on the Wild Goose.Its now in New Port,Calif. Thanks Pat in Bremerton,Washington

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 15th, 2011, 7:00 pm
That's me!

Send a PM or a mail to lazer_one (at) libero.it

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 15th, 2011, 7:22 pm
I would also be interested in the pictures, especially the Admiralty type Motor Mine Sweeper since some of those where lent to the RDN after the war.
Also, posting pictures in the source and reference materials section is always a good idea.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
candycane63
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 15th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Thiel wrote:
I would also be interested in the pictures, especially the Admiralty type Motor Mine Sweeper since some of those where lent to the RDN after the war.
Also, posting pictures in the source and reference materials section is always a good idea.
Wow...Many thanks for the reply..Lazer also sent me his regular e mail contact address..I jsut do not know yet...how to down load any pictures on this site ? but when time is available, l'll try..l know that some sites do not allow one to use thier regular e mail address, but l'll list mine... candycane63 at comcast. net

[Profile] [Quote]
polluxdeltaseven
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 18th, 2011, 2:44 pm
I sadly have no information about thoses Mine Sweeper (even if I'm glad to learn the "family link" between the Calypso and the Wild Goose), but I wanted to say something I wanted to say for a loooong time to my non-French friends:

Cousteau is often referred in the US or in England as Jack or Jacques Cousteau, sometimes as Jacques Y. Cousteau.
Actually, it's Jacques-Yves Cousteau: Yves is not a second name but part of it's first name (something really common in France at this time: Cousteau's own son is Jean-Michel).

I allowed myself to told you about that because I met several times a sailor who use to work with Cousteau and he told me that the "Pacha" sometimes did mind about the fact that a lot of people mistook about his name (even if most of time he took that with humour). Even if JYC is no longer with us, I try to think that it's still important to write his name good.

So, just to let you know...

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: January 21st, 2011, 1:42 pm
Deleted

[Profile] [Quote]
EDDiver69
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: May 10th, 2011, 12:42 am
I'm interested in learning more about the railways used at the Ballard Marine Railway. Are the 2 railways still in use at Pacific Fishermen (Railway # 1 and # 2, both seen from current Google maps aerial views) the original railways used to build the Clypso?

Any picture available of the railways in action?

Craig

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: May 10th, 2011, 7:15 am
you are asking about railways in an shipdrawing forum?

[Profile] [Quote]
EDDiver69
Post subject: Re: Jac Cousteau's CalypsoPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:33 pm
Yes, since candycane63 indicated the Ballard Marine Railways that I'm interested in was a family owned shipyard. Expect he would have some firsthand knowledge and photographs of not just the ships built there, but the railways used.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: