Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 3 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 10:26 am
Gollevainen, remember me saying something after your note?
Because i press last post.
This happened probaly also to him, or just scrolling down or something like he says.

These stuff can happen and are misunderstanding's.
He already said he understood and says its in the past so its ok.

Maybe PM the warnings next time would be a great thing.
No way you can miss that...
Notification on email and when opening the forum.

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 10:41 am
Yeah that issue is past and sentences sat, and so on. No hard feelings.
In future, I try to be bit more patient while waiting you guys to notice my moderations and you should be more allerted to spot my (and others) moderations. That way we can get into better solutions and avoid confontrations.

[Profile]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 12:59 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
As for TimothyC, I thank you for being honest, I always appreciate true face-to-face discussion instead of backstabbing and talking BS behind peoples backs. However you forgot very important factor. I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to trying to managing this great bucket which after this opening it to the public has been like trying to build a levee to a flooding river. I try to keep the quality and integrity of the shipbucket and it has forced me to be harsh on time to time. But I'm just. I may be harsh, but I'm harsh on everyone, even to those I think I could call as friends in here when it comes to shipbucket quality. I expect everyone to honour it like I do. You don't have to like me, you just need to know that when I'm tamed and at ease, then your work is up to the standards ;)
It's not that you are harsh, it's that there is no way of knowing when you are going to come down like a ton of bricks on someone, and when things will slide. Being inconsistent is just about the worst thing a moderator or an admin on a message board can be, as it does drive posters away when they can't predict the result of their own actions.
Quote:
Also, Psilander's work has been mentioned here, so I would like to re:clarify what I said few weeks ago.
Psilander is one of the leading Alternative Universe Naval creators, who's Imperial Sweden with highly thougth and designed ships have been source of marvel inside the whole naval-freak's community cross the boards.
He used to drawn in his own scale, but once appeared on our old forum and declared that he was now drawing in Shipbucket scale.
Yet he retained his rather akvarellish coloring ideas. Me and MConrads tried to put him straight, without effort (or even without any conflict)
So we decided to honour his own work and unique style and yet add his work onto the bucket (which was the Photobucket account back then)

Some say that he is give "privileges", But I say that we also include his work, done in our scale but in his style to be included into the mainsite, But I wouldn't call them Shipbucket drawings as such.
Ok, so he got grandfathered in, that's fine, and the way things are. The issue I have now is Lazer_One does some great icebreakers and has, on occasion, used complex non-standard shading to represent complex and dramatic hull curves, and as done so very well. Is there any particular reason (other than a grandfather clause) why Psilander gets to have his non-standard stuff uploaded while Lazer_One doesn't?
Quote:
But again, this "opening up" is a good wind up for the whole thing. I just hope you would in the future contact me or Colo way sooner if something is bugging you and not build it up inside you. ´

Golly
As Ian and Erik can both attest to, I do go to the staff when I think that the wrong decision has been made, and I don't let it build up to a rolling boil inside.
Gollevainen wrote:
Now, you all know that I'm not native English speaker/speller and sometimes I'm not even particularly good at it.
So At least from my part I understand the problem that someones have over understandability. But the aforementioned concern over foreign language goes by to normal posting in normal forums.
Oh it shows, it shows. When you get angry your spelling goes to heck as it has done so in this thread. If you were not a English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) individual, I would declare it a "Sublime Parody". I don't expect perfect spelling or grammar from our ESL posters, I would like them to try to get stuff right.

[Profile]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Quote:
It's not that you are harsh, it's that there is no way of knowing when you are going to come down like a ton of bricks on someone, and when things will slide. Being inconsistent is just about the worst thing a moderator or an admin on a message board can be, as it does drive posters away when they can't predict the result of their own actions.
I don't aknowlidge inconsistent to be part of my flaws. If some one has gotten such idea, then its really a missunderstoodment. Therefore I think this migth also come down to the language issue. I have never actually "went berserk" or emotional against anyone or in any occasion here in Shipbucket. Trust me, you would have noticed it if I would really would loose my temper. I tend to stick with the actuall content of my sayings or in my agenda, and I've noticed (elsewhere in internet) that to native englishspeakers this migth rather rude or unpleasent, definetly unpolite at least. In Finnish culture, we don't speak without meaning or hide our thougths inside unneserical small-talk or faked friendliness. Expecially when dealing with issues where someone needs to use imperative, the clearer the message is, the better its thougth have dealed.

Some occasions have needed more of that use of imperative and some little bit less.

I also dislike the use of smilies, so sometimes my message seems to have been taken with wrong angle. Also. what comes to my spelling, the errors I make are perhaps the only inconsisted part in my posting. It only seems to be close to the speed I wrote. When Im exited or emotional, I spell and type lot slower than usuall, as I tend to think and ponder each word Im to use, and thus I migth sometimes forget the idea in my sentences and make them rather odd or uncomprehesible. Normal mood I just type what comes to my mind without giving it that much thougth.
Quote:
Ok, so he got grandfathered in, that's fine, and the way things are. The issue I have now is Lazer_One does some great icebreakers and has, on occasion, used complex non-standard shading to represent complex and dramatic hull curves, and as done so very well. Is there any particular reason (other than a grandfather clause) why Psilander gets to have his non-standard stuff uploaded while Lazer_One doesn't?
issue with lazer is that He first tried to impled his own rather variable way of shading and shaddowing, not so dissimilar to Psilanders work. I've gone multiple E-mails and PMs with him over the issue and progressively he has started to mellow down his style to more close to the standard.

And yeas, Ive used exactly same sort of language and harsheness towards him as towards anyone else.
Great thing about Lazer_One is that aside taking that as personal insult against himself, He has understood my meaning, yet remained stobourn enough to actually listen it straigth away, but only after few or three times have finaly returned to the ranks.
Therefore I nor Colloseum have not wanted to be too strick upon him, as compared to some one(s) with bit larger Ego, he has showed will to co-operate with his undeniable artistical skills and with our standards.
Quote:
I don't expect perfect spelling or grammar from our ESL posters, I would like them to try to get stuff right.
No one makes spelling error's in purpose. I have little sympathy to those native english speakers who keep up the idea that the "ESL" people sort of "insult" their language when they are making huge effort in trying to communicate with the natives in their own language.

[Profile]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 1:34 pm
I don't think we should use an style similar to psilanders for sb ships, because it is just too much for most people to do that. I'd like to improve the sb style a bit though, towards the style gollevainen and alvama use.... because that looks just so much better.

[Profile]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm
As far it is in My powers, Acelancelots wish should become the future of SB, with the exception that we need to also clearly ratify the "borders" for artistical freedom inside our works. But after this "who can be adm. and who cannot" thing has mellowed down, I think we will have some heated arguments behind the curtains of who's style wins, Colloseums or Mine's.

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:08 pm
You guys do whatever you want; I still think that MConrads' old style of shading looks the cleanest, is the easiest to go back and edit, and is by far the largest represented on the site. :P

But, from now on, if you want to shade in the "new fashion", go for it. I won't say anything to you (and I rarely do anyway).

Don't make me fire up Photoshop and start drawing Shipbucket ships with anti-aliased lines, proper shading, etc.

[Profile]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Reading through all that's been said, I believe there's two issues that still remains.

Psilander's style and the briefly mentioned Parts Sheets

While Psilander does have the Grandfather clause, it is still not following the standard style that the rest of the ships has. And because his style is so complex, it's extremely difficult to modify. I've told this on the IRC, but I strongly believe that Psilander should at least do a Standards compliance version of his drawings when he posts his ships.

As for the Parts Sheets, repeatedly we've been told that a solid upgrade of the parts will be done. But yet we get nothing but a post with a start, then someone pops up saying they have a more up-to-date version, then never posts it and the thread dies. That needs to stop.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

Last edited by Demon Lord Razgriz on September 26th, 2010, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:33 pm
You try coordinating this mess.

[Profile]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: MutinyPosted: September 26th, 2010, 7:36 pm
about the parts sheets: I think there should come parts sheets for country's and company's that produce those. I am working on the dutch one(togheter with some other people, and if more people do so the parts sheets might be a whole lot easier to navigate through.

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 3 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: