Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 11th, 2023, 3:44 pm
So i have two requests regarding shading. Could someone please help in shading the hull of a project I'm working on? It's moistly done but the hull shading needs to be redone as well as the lifeboats needing to also be shaded.

This is the current shading of the hull, the shades are colored differently to be easier to distinguish.
[ img ]

Now don't get me wrong, i have made numerous previous attempts with dissatisfying results, Not uploading or posting them here because i deemed them too unsightly to be publicly posted.

I have the line plans scaled down accordingly:
[ img ]
[ img ]

reference image for the lifeboats, also scaled down accordingly:
[ img ]

Third is the reshading of the wing propellers. I don't exactly know how the shafts enter and blend back into the hull and i don't think ,y shading for it is accurate.

I seriously need help in completing one of the finishing touches of this project. I am so close to completion.

I've got this plating diagram as well, also scaled accordingly
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 11th, 2023, 5:14 pm
Eswube talked about it in a previous post (just bellow your post)! He posted an example drawing. (Eswube will probably come back on that later)

[ img ]

The style guide have all the basics, but there is some freedom but it should be done in a way, that make it easy for the next person to modify.
http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

My short list is:
- we don't shade the forward part of the hull like you have done, light is coming from the front above. Many of the drawings you see on the internet show the drawing with the light source directly above, but with the light from front above, the ship will look more "alive"
- lines you see on a line plan isn't how the shading should be, they are the shape of the hull in each direction (longitudinal).
- we don't use excessive shading, we are not drawing an cartoon but are drawing how it would look like in a picture, if that picture was taken at a distance.

For example, look at this photo (not the best photo, but it do show how the shades are playing on the hull:
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 11th, 2023, 8:26 pm
As said on the discord. Show us those attempts, tell us what you are doing to get the shading and we can help you out. Nobody will do the work for you (except I actually already did that for you because you had trouble, while explaining the entire process while doing so)

[ img ]
[ img ]

You didn't like the result using the 45 degree rule, so you requested someone to do it for you using a different shading rule. I recommended using 90 degree rule (which was closest to the kind of shading you showed in images what you wished for) but that you should try to apply that yourself, and post the progress so people could help out if you got stuck.

You spend the next posts on the discord how you needed to be a mathematician to do hull shading and it was too complex for you and that someone else should do the work for you.

But you've worn me down.
Here you go, perfect shading for both the hull and propeller shaft and boats according to the zero degree shading rule. Anything not visible from the side is shaded or highlighted.
[ img ]

If you don't like that, show some effort trying yourself so people can help you improve. People on shipbucket are eager to help create great work, but they will not do the work for you.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 11th, 2023, 11:19 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
As said on the discord. Show us those attempts, tell us what you are doing to get the shading and we can help you out. Nobody will do the work for you (except I actually already did that for you because you had trouble, while explaining the entire process while doing so)

[ img ]
[ img ]

You didn't like the result using the 45 degree rule, so you requested someone to do it for you using a different shading rule. I recommended using 90 degree rule (which was closest to the kind of shading you showed in images what you wished for) but that you should try to apply that yourself, and post the progress so people could help out if you got stuck.

You spend the next posts on the discord how you needed to be a mathematician to do hull shading and it was too complex for you and that someone else should do the work for you.

But you've worn me down.
Here you go, perfect shading for both the hull and propeller shaft and boats according to the zero degree shading rule. Anything not visible from the side is shaded or highlighted.
[ img ]

If you don't like that, show some effort trying yourself so people can help you improve. People on shipbucket are eager to help create great work, but they will not do the work for you.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life.
i have but abandoned previous efforts because it just wasn't right. shading the wing propellers on my own was already a big enough paint to do and they still probably don't reflect irl shading of that area.

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 12th, 2023, 3:09 am
Also, i don't think that's the right line plan, i posted the correct one on discord.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 12th, 2023, 4:43 am
Part of the Shipbucket project is doing the work yourself and seeking assistance from others on the board or discord -- not asking others to actually do the work for you. Otherwise why bother? There is a lot of very good advice here -- please take the advice offered and give it a shot and post the results so that others can give feedback

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 12th, 2023, 7:46 pm
heuhen wrote: *
Eswube talked about it in a previous post (just bellow your post)! He posted an example drawing. (Eswube will probably come back on that later)
I happen to be aware how much help @CodumCallum1666 already got (mainly from Acelanceloet) on Discord, so I don't think I will add much to it.

@CodumCallum1666
Shipbucket is largely based around the "do it yourself" principle - ok, it also includes "reuse what someone did oneself" - but it's still about OWN effort not "do it for me" effort.
Hull shading, while sometimes tricky, is not a particularly complicated thing, especially with so detailed plans, and it does not involve any special mathematical calculations, except for general knowledge of what is approximately 45 degrees (yes, if you were to precisely establish these 45,00000 deg. to a tiniest fraction, for each relevant point of the hull, then it could involve calculations, but here we need only that approximately, defined "by eye").

[Profile] [Quote]
CodumCallum1666
Post subject: Re: Help on Hull shadingPosted: June 13th, 2023, 6:46 am
eswube wrote: *
heuhen wrote: *
I happen to be aware how much help @CodumCallum1666 already got (mainly from Acelanceloet) on Discord, so I don't think I will add much to it.

@CodumCallum1666
Shipbucket is largely based around the "do it yourself" principle - ok, it also includes "reuse what someone did oneself" - but it's still about OWN effort not "do it for me" effort.
Hull shading, while sometimes tricky, is not a particularly complicated thing, especially with so detailed plans, and it does not involve any special mathematical calculations, except for general knowledge of what is approximately 45 degrees (yes, if you were to precisely establish these 45,00000 deg. to a tiniest fraction, for each relevant point of the hull, then it could involve calculations, but here we need only that approximately, defined "by eye").
the next thing i may ask is the shading of the parts of the hull where the propellers would be fitted onto.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion”

Jump to: