Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 34 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 132 33 34 35 3655 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 28th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Great!
Though for some reason I prefer the looks of actual AEW.3.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 31st, 2013, 3:12 pm
[ img ]
The Westland OR.358 VTOL transport in the markings of 46 Squadron, RAF, circa 1968.

In 1962, Westland proposed this tilt-engine VTOL transport to fulfil OR.358 (a joint RN/ RAF requirement as NASR.358) for a medium helicopter for both services. I know no details but it is the first of a series of convertiplane VTOL transports designed by Westland. Westland did propose a tandem-rotor helicopter to NASR.358, the WG.11. The VTOL transport doesn't seem to have a WG project number.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

Last edited by Hood on October 15th, 2016, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 31st, 2013, 3:42 pm
That is one big ass rotor..
Great drawing ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 31st, 2013, 4:22 pm
I'm guessing conventional landings weren't in the cards.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: October 31st, 2013, 5:43 pm
Very strange, but very interesting.
Great work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 10:07 am
[ img ]
Westland Supersonic Rotor Helicopter 1973

Only the rotors of this design were supersonic!
In the 1970s Westland designed a number of supersonic rotor helicopters, most were compound helicopters, but this design from 22 June 1973 is probably among the first proposed. The rotor diameter was 49ft 3in, loaded weight 33,500lbs and it would have three Avco Lycoming LTC.4V1 turboshafts. The plan shows armament of one Sidewinder balanced by a fuel tank on the other stub wing. Whether this design had ASW capability I'm not sure but it seems to have space for 3-4 crew so might have carried A/S torpedoes etc. in pods and a pure fighter-use seems unlikely, but self-defence might be useful as well as dealing with any Ka-25/27 it comes across in the GIUK gaps. The noise of the rotors would have been incredible and this is just one a series of amazing ideas Westland have come up with. I hope to show more in forthcoming posts.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

Last edited by Hood on October 15th, 2016, 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 10:36 am
I wonder how they managed to get the blades to work at those speeds. Regardless of the technology it is a lovely looking little thing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 10:45 am
Great drawings, I had never seen the 1973 project before.Not knowing a great deal about helicoptors to my shame. Is it possible to make a rotor blade go supersonic cos of the aerodynamic drag :?:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 12:24 pm
Yes. In fact keeping them from doing so is a major headache on modern high performance helicopters. Hence all the weirdly shaped rotorblades you see on modern helicopters.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: November 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm
Incredibly ambitious for the time. Only now do we have something really like it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 34 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 132 33 34 35 3655 »

Jump to: