Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: May 1st, 2014, 10:25 pm
A very fine design, with an interesting backstory. I can't help but feel that the drawing seems slightly blocky and under-detailed though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: May 2nd, 2014, 8:16 am
Nice idea and I like it. Who cares how practical it is, it looks good, seems plausible enough and has no major clangers to make this unworkable. A nice novel AU idea.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 16th, 2014, 7:35 pm
I promised more, didn't I?
a series of missile conversion studies were done for construction in the 1960's. I am not certain yet I have found a design that would have been likely to have been fitted, seeing the relative newness of the ships and the uniqueness of the main gun turrets (which cancels, together with the cost, all double ended conversions)
[ img ]
proposal 1 is one of the most capable ones, but also the most expensive possible that is not double ended. everything aft of the aft mast had to be rebuild (including hull) to accomodate the launchers, while the aft mast and secondary conning position would have to move towards the funnel to allow the required number of directors. for this reason I did not go forward with this proposal: the dutch would never have done that to an ship only 10 years commissioned. I only included the work in progress here for comparisions sake.
[ img ]
proposal 2 is far less capable, with only a single Mk 10 Mod 2 launcher. there is now a bit too much space, which on this ship, often used as command ship, is used for a helicopter hangar for one large or 2 small helicopters. the missile magazine is in the space originally occupied by the B turrets barbette, so the rebuild is relatively minor. some ballasting is required to keep her keel level, though.

more might be coming in the future.... but fire away with your comments. :P keep in mind that I do these just for fun, not for perfect realism, and as I said I have not yet found any proposal that would work as good as decommissioning this ship and putting the Mk 10 on the eendracht cruiser.

Last edited by acelanceloet on April 8th, 2017, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 17th, 2014, 6:19 am
Awesome work Acelanceloet, but could you perhaps make it a bit more... detailed? As this is a personal design you can make her as detailed you want. Something post-war USN cruiser like? Tubes, wires, lighting, life saving equipment.

Other than that, awesome :!:

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 17th, 2014, 8:33 am
Very interesting and excellent work.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 18th, 2014, 8:04 am
Vossiej wrote:
Awesome work Acelanceloet, but could you perhaps make it a bit more... detailed? As this is a personal design you can make her as detailed you want. Something post-war USN cruiser like? Tubes, wires, lighting, life saving equipment.

Other than that, awesome :!:
well, I am not that familiar with the equipment of the period, so I decided to draw her such that I was certain that all that was drawn was correct, instead of adding details for the sake of details.
the details level is actually quite close to that of ALVAMA's drawing of the zeven provincien CL's.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 19th, 2014, 5:52 pm
I like proposal 1 best, the helideck and small hangar on number 2 looks a little odd to me. Both remind me of those super-cruisers the Soviets were cooking up in the 1950s and early 60s.

Saying that, its a shame that the aft-most magazine is above the waterline belt around the rudder gear (which prevents the magazine being any lower) and the larger magazine is partially armoured, but if I read the armour scheme correctly, it would be cut into the armoured deck which would be a pain. So I agree proposal 1 is not ideal in any sense and very costly to carry out.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: June 19th, 2014, 7:37 pm
I just like the clean lines of #1, it speaks to me :D

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 19th, 2014, 9:31 pm
Well, gentlemen, I told you there was a second hull in production as well......

The second 1047 hull was taken into the German plans to replace 'P-kreuzer' as well, and would receive the guns from the Scharnhorst. Of course, seeing the course of the war, this was not carried out. The hull was finished to the waterline and then floated out, to clear the building site for small ship construction and repair.
The construction was however done following the original plans, with torpedo belt and armour in place. Machinery was in a near completed stage, ready to be installed when the ship would go near this stage.

At the end of the war, the hull was still finished only to the waterline level. When the first 1047 was completed, the ship was readied for construction again. There was however no need for another battlecruiser. Proposals to sell the hull, scrap the hull, arm it with regular cruiser guns, and some even more wicked plans were made.
The maddest plan of all was carried out though. The Dutch wanted to acquire an aircraft carrier, seeing that this was the future (after wartime experiences) a fast, torpedo protected but very stable hull was ready for construction..... Of course, the 1047-2 hull! Construction started in 1952, and in 1956 the ship was commissioned.

The carrier had the same catapults as fitted on the midway class. The deck was of the new angled deck design, but still had traits from the original straight deck that would originally have been fitted. The design followed parts of the American and British design philosophy. Her speed of 30-32 knots was not as fast as her 34 knot battlecruiser sister, but still very fast for a ship it's size.

[ img ]

Well, I hope you guys like her. I had plans to draw this ship from the very beginning of 'project 1047 bis' but had no time and interest to finish her lately. The top view is still not what I would have wanted, but I might return to it later (or anyone who wants may take it on, I'll gladly supply parts for the radar etc if needed)
Please comment, and on the contrary to what seems to be general I would like to get some technical comments, although I agree that of all I could have thought of, this idea is not that plausible :P

Last edited by acelanceloet on April 8th, 2017, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: design 1047 battlecruiser, as finished postwar.Posted: September 20th, 2014, 1:47 am
Really interesting and well made drawing ace

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 37 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: