Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
David Latuch
Post subject: USS Monterey (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 17th, 2017, 3:27 pm
Hi,
With the demise of Majhost all of my early posting were imageless so I’ve decided to revisit, revise and improve on these drawings. I am beginning with the USS Monterey (BM-6)

Service History:

The USS Monterey BM-6 was a coastal monitor laid down at Union Iron Works, San Francisco, California, on 20 December 1889, she was launched 28 April 1891, and was commissioned 13 February 1893.
Monterey was assigned to the Pacific Squadron for harbor defense, operating out of Mare Island Navy Yard, making numerous voyages to ports on the West Coast during her first 5 years of naval service. From April to August 1895, she made an extended voyage down the South American coast to Callao, Peru, via Acapulco, Mazatlán, and Panama.

With the outbreak of the Spanish–American War and Commodore George Dewey's great victory in Manila Bay 1 May 1898, the Monterey was ordered to sail for the Philippines to provide the Asiatic Squadron with big gun support against a possible attack by the Spanish 2nd Squadron, which included the battleship Pelayo and the large armored cruiser Emperador Carlos V. Monterey departed San Diego, California, 11 June in company with the collier Brutus for Manila she arrived Cavite 13 August, and remained in the Philippines, remaining in the Philippines until 6 April 1900, when she sailed for China, where she received new boilers at Hong Kong. The Monterey operating from July 1900 to September 1901 as station ship at Shanghai, voyaging upriver to Nanking from 25 to 31 July 1902 with Special Commissioner T. S. Sharretts on board for a diplomatic mission. The Monterey continued her operations along the coast of China from Chefoo to Hong Kong, and also served as station ship at Shanghai for short periods. She returned to Cavite in the spring of 1903 for repairs, and was decommissioned 15 December 1904.

Monterey departed Cavite 13 November 1917, and was taken in tow by collier Ajax on the 15th. She arrived at Pearl Harbor, on 19 December. The Monterey remained in service at the submarine base until she was decommissioned 27 August 1921. She was sold to A. Bercovich Co., Oakland, California in February, 1922, and towed across the Pacific to be scrapped.
Taken from (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Monterey_(BM-6))

General Characteristics

Displacement: 4,084 tons
Length: 260 ft 11 in (79.53 m)
Beam: 59 ft (18 m)
Draft: 14 ft (4.3 m)
Speed: 13.6 knots
Complement: 210
Armament:
2 × 12 in
2 × 10 in
6 × 6-pdrs

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on May 18th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USS Monetery (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 17th, 2017, 8:55 pm
Looks great. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS Monetery (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 17th, 2017, 11:35 pm
thank you. she is a rather small ship with a good history. :D BTH I know the flag is wrong :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USS Monetery (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 1:53 am
USS Monetary? :D

Drawing looks great as ever. My only minor suggestion is to move it to the left a bit so the stern lines up with the edge of the scalebar!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USS Monetery (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 8:17 am
Looks a nice updated drawing.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS Monetery (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 9:47 am
Colosseum wrote: *
USS Monetary? :D

Drawing looks great as ever. My only minor suggestion is to move it to the left a bit so the stern lines up with the edge of the scalebar!
Oops...I was eating a Milky Way :o :oops: :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Monterey (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 1:35 pm
It's difficult to imagine being on the open ocean in such a thing...

Beautiful drawing!

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: USS Monterey (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 1:47 pm
erik_t wrote: *
It's difficult to imagine being on the open ocean in such a thing...

Beautiful drawing!
I agree especially given the way the first Monitor sank off from Cape Hatteras ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: USS Monterey (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 18th, 2017, 9:11 pm
Excellent drawing, but the ship itself gives a new meaning to the phrase "getting ones feet wet" :)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
kellyj
Post subject: Re: USS Monterey (BM-6) ReBootPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 4:46 am
Just to add some history from Conways...
The Monitors built in this period were snuck in while Congress was not authorizing ship construction. The USN took the names of 6 Monitors from the Civil War and declared they were going to "repair" these ships for current use and got the funding passed. The fact the "repairs" were keel up new construction was conveniently glossed over.
As for Monterey's voyage across the Pacific, she was not so much accompanied by the Brutus, but was towed by her. At 236 ton capacity of coal, she did not have the range to make it on her own, and with such low freeboard, mid ocean re-coaling was seen as a last ditch option.
Crews diaries of the voyage described it as very wet and rough.

Excellent drawing of one of the lesser known ship types in the USN.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: