Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 14 of 44  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1644 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 8:09 am
Unfortunately not a one big book of Polish aircraft. It would be very convenient, but I don't know of such. ;)
My sources are books (about a dozen, including ones I used to draw my share of work for the upcoming "military" part) and periodicals plus internet.
As for the historical background, it's books and internet.
For the base drawings (black and white contours) it's internet and books - mostly as a matter of convenience: why bother with making scan, when I can get very similar, or often even the very same drawing from the www?
And for the paintings it's more-or-less fifty-fifty.

EDIT: Search tags for the Rhade's post below:
Poland, Breguet XIV
Poland, Salmson 2A2
Poland, SPAD S.VII (S7)

Last edited by eswube on January 26th, 2014, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 12th, 2013, 4:56 pm
I understand that you all wait for first chapter of military part of Polish Wings, well here it is.

Błękitna Armia

Błękitna Armia (Blue Army), or Haller's Army, was the Polish army formed in France in the latter stages of World War I. The names come from the troops' French blue uniforms and the army's commander, General Józef Haller de Hallenburg. The army was created in June 1917 as part of Polish units allied with the Entente. The first units were formed after the signing of a 1917 alliance by French President Raymond Poincaré and the Polish statesman Ignacy Jan Paderewski. A majority of recruits were either Poles serving in the French army, or former prisoners of war from the German and Austro-Hungarian imperial armies (approximately 35,000 men). An additional 23,000 were Polish Americans. Other Poles flocked to the army from all over the world as well — these units included recruits from the former Russian Expeditionary Force in France and the Polish diaspora in Brazil (more than 300 men).

The army was initially under French political control and under the military command of General Louis Archinard. However, on February 23, 1918, political sovereignty was granted to the Polish National Committee and soon other Polish units were formed, most notably the 4th and 5th Rifle Divisions in Russia. On September 28 Russia formally signed an agreement with the Entente that accepted the Polish units in France as the only, independent, allied and co-belligerent Polish army. On October 4, 1918 the National Committee appointed General Józef Haller de Hallenburg as overall commander.*

Training of personnel for the Awiacja Armii Polskiej we Francji (Aviation of the Polish Army in France) begun in mid-1917. From the spring of next year seven French squadrons were attached to it (5 reconnaissance and one each bomber and fighter), initially with French personnel, gradually replaced with Polish. They were accompanied by 1 Park Lotniczy (1st Air Depot) and flight school. Unfortunately, very little is known about their participation in the Great War. In may and june of 1919 Armia Polska we Francji, together with its aviation was transported to Poland and incorporated into national armed forces, while it's air units were subsequently renamed.

Most numerous aircraft of the Awiacja Armii Polskiej was very popular Breguet XIV. In may 1919 total of 45 were in service, including 27 in reconnaissance version A2 (20 in squadrons Bre.39 and Bre.59, 6 in air depot and one attached to the Headquarters of the French Military Mission), and 18 in bomber version B2 (15 in squadron Bre.66 and 3 in air depot). Later more planes of these types were purchased by Poland.

[ img ]

Remaining three reconnaissance squadrons (Sal.580, Sal.581 and Sal.582) were equipped with 39 (including attrition spares) Salmson 2A2 planes. Further planes were obtained by independent Poland.

[ img ]

Only fighter squadron of the Awiacja Armii Polskiej, the Spa.162, was equipped with 18 SPAD VIIc1 biplanes. Planes of that type were also used by Polish aviation units formed in Russia, and more were bought after the war.

[ img ]

* - source wikipedia.org

Last edited by Rhade on February 13th, 2015, 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 12th, 2013, 6:11 pm
Nice work but you've got some dud images.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 12th, 2013, 6:22 pm
He knows that.
Technical problems with Photobucket. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 13th, 2013, 7:49 am
Everything fixed now.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 13th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Great additions, as usual.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 13th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Fantastic work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 13th, 2013, 4:26 pm
A most impressive thread, one of the best. Very well done.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 27th, 2013, 8:39 pm
Aviation of Polish Forces in Russia

I Korpus Polski w Rosji (Polish I Corps in Russia) was a Polish military formation formed in Belarus, in August 1917 in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution of 1917, from soldiers of Polish origin serving in the Russian Army. Its goal was to defend Poles inhabiting parts of Poland under Russian partitions and support the formation of independent Poland.
The Corps was formed at the initiative of the Naczelny Polski Komitet Wojskowy (Chief Polish Military Committee), a Polish faction in the revolutionary and split Russian Empire military. It was commanded by general Józef Dowbor-Muśnicki, and numbered about 29,000 soldiers. In the chaotic period at the end of the First World War on the Eastern Front, the Polish I Corps fought against the Bolshevik Red Army, cooperated with the German Ober Ost forces in taking Minsk, and after acknowledging the Regency Council in May 1918, it surrendered to the German forces in Babruysk. The soldiers were given safe passage to Warsaw, where they became part of the newly created Polish Army.*

Awiacja I Korpusu Polskiego (Aviation of the 1st Polish Corps was formed in Minsk on 19 july 1917. Initially the unit led by cpt. Zygmunt Studziński posessed only one unarmed Nieuport 11c1. Shortly after lt.col. Piotr Abakanowicz took comand of the unit and organized it's tranfer to Bobrujsk (Babruysk), and on their way there unit's personnel encountered group of polish railway worker who helped them "liberate" some 16 combat aircraft from railway transport. In march 1918 polish troops captured single Ilya Muromets G-II bomber together with its crew and pressed it into service in the unit. Together with whole Corps, groupsurrendered in may 1918 to the German forces.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

I Polski Oddział Awiacyjny Bojowy (1st Polish Aviational Combat Detachment) was formed in Dunajowice near Kamieniec Podolski (Kamianets-Podilskyi) in december 1917. Most of the pilots and ground personnel came from the former Russian XIX Istriebityelny Aviaotryad (19th Fighter Air Detachment) formed in 1915 in Warsaw with high precentage of personnel of Polish origin. They flew on SPAD S.VII, Farman F.30, Anatra Anasal, Nieuport 21E1 and Nieuport 23C1 aircraft.

[ img ]

( esauł - cossack officer in rank of major )

Polski Oddział Awiacyjny w Odessie (Polish Aviational Detachment in Odessa) was formed in Odessa in 1917 from Polish pilots of the City of Odessa Defense Squadron. Equipment included Anatra Anasal, Lebed XII, Morane-Saulnier MS-3(L) and MS-5 planes

[ img ]

[ img ]

II Polski Oddział Awiacyjny (2nd Polish Aviational Detachment) was formed in december 1917 as a result of merger of Russian XIV Aviaotryad (14th Aviational Detachment) and independent air unit led by rotmistrz (rittmeister) Niżewski. Unit owned one Morane-Saulnier L, two Nieuport 16c1 and one SPAD plane.

[ img ]

I Oddział Awiacyjny Wojsk Polskich (1st Aviational Detachment of Polish Forces was formed with French consent in october 1918 in Kubanarea of southern Russia from Polish aviators (of Polish Corps') that evaded capture by Germans and Austrians. It was assigned to Polish 4 Dywizja Strzelców (4th Rifle Division) also formed in that area as detached part of Blue Army and supporting Entente intervention in Russian civil war. In december 1918 unit was transported by sea to Odessa where it received initially only two Anatra planes and one LVG C.V. In february 1919 it was renamed to Eskadra Lotnicza 4 Dywizji Strzelców (Aviational Squadron of the 4th Rifle Division). In april 1919, on the eve of the units evacuation to Romania, lieut. Ludomir Rayski obtained from one of French squadrons single damaged Breguet XIVB2 (sometimes mistaken with A2 model). After whole night-long repair by Polish technicians it was made flyable and flew to Akerman, shortly after joined by rest of the unit on its way to Poland.

[ img ]

[ img ]

* - source wikipedia.com

Last edited by Rhade on February 13th, 2015, 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Polish WingsPosted: April 29th, 2013, 6:48 pm
To be precise, Lebied XII was "owned" by Polski Oddział Awiacyjny w Odessie, but quite probably just stored in crates - therefore on the drawing it's just an example, not a particular plane from that unit.

C'mon Guys - Rhade's work deserves more than being ignored.

EDIT: EDIT: Search tags for the Rhade's post above:

Poland, Nieuport 11
Poland, Nieuport 17
Poland, Nieuport 21
Poland, Nieuport 23
Poland, Morane-Saulnier MS.3 (L)
Poland, Voisin III
Poland, Farman F.30
Poland, RBWZ-Sikorsky Ilya Muromets
Poland, SPAD S.VII (S7)
Poland, Anatra Anasal
Russia, Lebed XII
Poland, Nieuport 16
Poland, Breguet XIV
Poland, LVG C.V

Last edited by eswube on January 26th, 2014, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 14 of 44  [ 440 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 112 13 14 15 1644 »

Jump to: