Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 26 of 100  [ 999 posts ]  Go to page « 124 25 26 27 28100 »
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 17th, 2012, 10:27 pm
Submarines, in and of themselves, are not gross. The stuff growing on the one in the picture, on the other hand? Ugh... :shudders:

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 17th, 2012, 10:36 pm
That boat obviously haven't been on the move lately. In fact the growth pattern tells us that it has been on the surface for at least a couple of months. (Unless it was tied up in an unusually rich environment) You see the same amount of growth on untreated dinghies that has been left in the water for most of the season.
If it had acquired them by moving around then they'd be all over the hull. (Remember, I'm speaking purely in the context of nuclear submarines)

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the picture shows a Collins class SSK.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
SHIPDUDE
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:02 am
Slippery paint is also good for boundary layer turbulence.

I predict we will see blue-painted submarines within our lifetime.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:04 am
Thiel wrote:
Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the picture shows a Collins class SSK.
The fact its a Collins makes me rather sad :( , we haven't had a good run with them really

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Wizard
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:49 am
I'm sorry but I have doubts about the identification of the picture as a Collins; That doesn't look like the bow of a Collins class boat.

And Rodondo - Why do you think we haven't had a good run with them? Are you giving credence to the political knife-fighting and the media's uniformed ravings? They are a great submarine and arguably one of the best conventional submarines around. If you read informed comment on them (as opposed to ramblings of politicians with an agenda or media trying to beat up stories to sell papers) you'll find they are highly thought of in the submarine community.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 12:54 am
I mean the engine breakdown in the Timor Sea I think it was and the near disaster with the Farncomb in May/August I believe it was. I agree they are good submarines for what they are, its just, as you said the politicians, have blemished them.

I also agree about the identification, the bow isn't as rounded as a Collins is and the stern doesn't match that really well to the photo

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Wizard
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 1:18 am
I agree the engines appear to be the weak point of the Collins but that is something that the Navy needs work around and learn from when we build the next class. The rest of the weapon system is world class.

General Observation: Australia built these submarines from scratch with no previous experience in building this type of vessel. What staggers me about this project (* And I have been watching this project for decades*) is how few problems Australia has had given the starting state of the submarine building/support industry in this country. There have been problems but rather than concentrating on the problems and whinging about how bad things are, it would be more productive to acknowledge the problems and use that to learn how to do things better.

As to the Farncombe incident: Submarining is very dangerous. You are taking machines into extremely hostile environments. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to gloss over incidents where boats are in mortal peril but you can't expect to operate on the edge and not expect dangerous things to happen. In a submarine if you make a mistake or something relatively small goes wrong you have a high probability of getting dead. I have the greatest respect for the people that operate these weapons because they do something I could never do.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 18th, 2012, 9:36 am
If you want to discuss about submarines, do it in offtopic forum, leave the topics in here for drawings and their comments

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 29th, 2012, 11:43 am
Type XXIII submarine:Do we have this?

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: SubmarinesPosted: February 29th, 2012, 12:20 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
Type XXIII submarine:Do we have this?
What do you think? please look in to the main website before you post a request.
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... eXXIII.png

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 26 of 100  [ 999 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 124 25 26 27 28100 »

Jump to: