Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 8:18 am
Ultimo Tiger wrote:
Although HMS Conqueror was designed long after the Belgrano was, the ship itself was sunk with torpedoes dating from the 1920s (instead of the more modern Tigerfish ones). A vindication of tried and tested technology above something new?
Not so much a vindication as a realisation that the Mark 24 Tigerfish didn't work.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 8:35 am
interesting to see that she carried dutch main radars.... interesting setup too, as the DA and the LW are most of the time the other way around in height.
but, do you know what that radar just in front of the LW-02 is? that small one? it looks like an smaller version of the ZW-06

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 9:15 am
You have to admire the courage of the Argentinians, pitting the Belgrano against what they'd know were local enemy nuclear submarines. The sinking has been a hot topic here ever since, with both arguments, pro and con over the sinking. Of course, the loss of life was deeply regreted by most thinking people, but also, it helped to ensure that the Argentinian fleet remained in harbour during the crucial period, when the land forces were being deployed. And of course, 30 years on and the Malvina's/Falklands remain disputed; and as one famous Argentinian described the war: "two bald men fighting over a comb".

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 10:27 am
acelanceloet wrote:
interesting to see that she carried dutch main radars.... interesting setup too, as the DA and the LW are most of the time the other way around in height.
but, do you know what that radar just in front of the LW-02 is? that small one? it looks like an smaller version of the ZW-06
I knew this comment. deal with it. she did carrierd LW and DA radar.

[Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 10:42 am
ALVAMA wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
I knew this comment. deal with it. she did carrierd LW and DA radar.
I'm not really seeing where you're going alvama. I can't find even a hint of criticism in Aces post and it is an unusual setup.
Anyway, I believe it's a navigation set of some sort. It looks a lot like one of the Decca sets used by the RDN, but at this scale it's hard to tell.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm
Excellent drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 4:41 pm
I found a fairly sketchy website that listed the Belgrano's radar fit as the "LW-08 and DA-08"; unfortunately, I don't think this is entirely correct as ALVAMA pointed out how the foremast main radar looked a lot like the LW-02. I'm far from an expert on foreign navies' radar (or even USN radar at that), so I went with what ALVAMA said. The small nav radar on the platform halfway up the mainmast is something of my own creation -- since the only photo I could find of that radar was extremely grainy, and the model kits just showed a generic small radar, I just drew something that fit. This grates on my nerves as I'm extremely picky about drawings so if anyone can find out what the ACTUAL radar was, please let me know so I can change it. Likewise that goes for the main radar fit.

This drawing was a nightmare because of the lack of source material!

And yeah, the use of the old torpedoes was great, but 1 of the 3 was a dud!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 4:54 pm
Could you post that picture of the radar. Maybe some of us can recognise it.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 4:56 pm
Sure, thanks:

This is the only one that shows it in any detail:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: ARA General BelgranoPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 4:59 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
You have to admire the courage of the Argentinians, pitting the Belgrano against what they'd know were local enemy nuclear submarines. The sinking has been a hot topic here ever since, with both arguments, pro and con over the sinking. Of course, the loss of life was deeply regreted by most thinking people, but also, it helped to ensure that the Argentinian fleet remained in harbour during the crucial period, when the land forces were being deployed. And of course, 30 years on and the Malvina's/Falklands remain disputed; and as one famous Argentinian described the war: "two bald men fighting over a comb".
Probably the best description of the Falklands War I've ever read. It's sad that the Belgrano was sunk, since so many men were killed aboard it and there were plans to preserve it, but at the same time, nobody can blame the British government for ordering the sinking. Being an enemy warship, it doesn't make any difference where it was or where it was heading. The Argentinians started the war in violation of international law, and regardless of what you have to say about the outcome, it doesn't change the fact that the Belgrano was a warship doing its duty, just like the HMS Conqueror.

The fact that Thatcher was grilled so endlessly about the sinking seems really idiotic to me, but this is the age we live in...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 5  [ 47 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: