Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 7:12 pm
So since when can TimothyC be hard to ''new'' people on this board, wich i think we should welcome.
Instead of keeping non drawing people and get rid of the drawing ones? Wich are pretty good at the start.
Or should we make a motto ''Get everybody so sick to leave this board''?
Radome wrote:
YOu should stop giving crappy comments about how everything looks like crap and start giving comments about were i can do better. thats the key to succes.
<- last part has to be given a cookie price! Nice words.

I think it looks good right as it is, but its not SB standart.
The only thing that has to remain.

For the rest, if somebody does not contain the english grammar as 1st language.
Then mostly they use U instead of You.
That is what i did before, remember?

Oh Ace. You are a newby to, so stick with it. And dont call others like that.
Otherwise youre new nickname for my side is ''proby''.
Its not nice to call people like that. Because often ''newby'' is also used to irritate people.
And this guy is like you where at the start, we had a hard time changing you. Give him that chance also.
Because it looks like you dont with the last part you write.

Also, about telling him he is not allowed to change parts, i find this BS.
Because you changed the 76mm and more, doesnt have to mean it is 100% correct.
Maby he is an ultra expert it that certain thing, and noticed something? (I dont say he did, but still)

Also, try to research something before you say something is wrong.
[ img ]

Took me 6 seconds to find, 2 seconds to edit, 1 minut to upload.
Not so hard ''research''.

But my thought about it, leave it out.
We dont draw that type of panel lines actually. It is a metal plated placed to the more outer side then the ones under it.
Probaly a thicker plate, to create more strenght in the hull. (Beams?)

''No hard feelings where implented''

Kind greetz.

Mitch 8-)

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 7:21 pm
as i said before its only my second day drawing ships. i dont know all ur standards and drawing rules.
i draw them the best way i know.
i thought i could share some of my artwork with some similar minded artists. but guess i was wrong.
and looking through ur designs i dont see anything of the things u guys pointed done correctly.
[ img ]
[ img ]
with that said, its been a very inspiring 2 days.
goodbye.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Radome wrote:
first, try looking at profile pictures of perrys before giving comments about lifeboats. and a heli was never on my to-do list.
second all parts r correct i drew the boat from a blueprint of the ship, and maybe 12-14 photos from diffrent angles. so im sure everything is correct.
third, i do these drawings for my plesure, its called "hobby". i could care less if it dosnt fit shipbucket standards.
and last, u should stop giving crappy comments about how everything looks like crap and start giving comments about were i can do better. thats the key to succes.
The why post it here at all? The entire point of this forum is to represent ships in SB standard. If you just want to do lineart, there's several forums online for that.
Anyway, having looked at several pictures of the Perry herself, I can see several issues, epescially around the bridge.
Amongst others, the bridge wing supports aren't that massive, and the bridge windows are a lot closer to what Mconrads and Colloseum drew on their drawing. The liferafts cannisters should be either white or very light grey. The grey oblong just aft of the bridgewings is the ships crest if I'm not mistaken, and the liferings you've drawn aren't liferings on the real thing, but emergency lockers.
You've also missed the Panama Hole in the bow. (The hawse hole in the bow)
The drawing is also slightly too short, OHP herself was 445ft long, or 890 pixels, yours is 887, a small difference, but important nonetheless.
The top of the funnel is also way off, and the air intakes are way too dark. While iut's true that we render air intakes etc in a darker shade than the surrounding hull, what you have is just too dark.
Since there is a noticeable break in the hull at deck level, the hangar and the brifge wing supports should be drawn in the same colour as the superstructure. The only time this isn't done is when the ship is completely slap-sided. The Perrys aren't.
Lastly, the shading isn't up to standard either.

Edit: some of these points have been adressed while I wrote this.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Radome wrote:
as i said before its only my second day drawing ships. i dont know all ur standards and drawing rules.
that's why we give comments to learn you them. that's the way we all learned them, and that's the way we work. in the end, some people quit because of that, but the rest get's to an really high standard, and some newbe's get better then the 'old guys'.

and about the old drawing: most I told you about is correct in that drawing, apart from some things that have changed over time. for example parts, shading rules and some other small points. but I agree with you: the perry needs redraw, but if I'm correct somebody was working on that one, and I doubt you are suited already to draw this pretty important warship (the same counts for me, I for example would not dare to draw the HMS dreadnought before I have the skills..... )

for the parts: most of them are here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 9:14 pm
Thiel wrote:
The why post it here at all?
Because it's still good practice.

From what I see, yes it needs better conformation to Shipbucket standards, conformity to the parts sheet, but other than that I think it might be superior to MConrad's old drawing.

We'll have to see for sure, but I don't think it's that hard to transfer over all the conforming-fixes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 9:38 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Thiel wrote:
The why post it here at all?
Because it's still good practice.

From what I see, yes it needs better conformation to Shipbucket standards, conformity to the parts sheet, but other than that I think it might be superior to MConrad's old drawing.

We'll have to see for sure, but I don't think it's that hard to transfer over all the conforming-fixes.
I was mostly going by thios sentence.
Quote:
i could care less if it dosnt fit shipbucket standards.
Not exactly encouraging.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 19th, 2011, 10:38 pm
When all is said and done it's not a bad 1st attempt.If you are serious about improving your drawing you do need to accept constructive critisism.If you stick at it you have the potetential to produce good work.On a sadder note I hope some members are proud of themselves.That was a shameful way to treat a new member.New members need to be helped not bullied.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 20th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Um.............

Maybe here we are having a misunderstanding? Radome as a new member, has posted a drawing in the correct forum. However, by posting here he has to accept that his work will be assessed against Shipbucket standards, otherwise why is he posting in Shipbucket Beginners Drawing Forum? With this drawing he shows definite promise, if he chooses to stay and work within the guidelines.

We do accept the right of members to offer criticism of others drawings, 'newbies' or otherwise. But sometimes what is well intentioned may come across as harsher than intended. There really isn't an answer to this one, other than all parties accepting that 'criticism' is offered and accepted postively. Radome is quite entitled to leave if this forum does not suit him, otherwise he's welcome to stay.

Also, MitcheLL300; I don't want to see you flaming on another topic like you have here. You seem set on stirring up another member for the sake of past diferences. if I see the same again I will ban you.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 20th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Ok...Another situation when lot of our members seems to forget their places.

1. If something Drawing has Mconrads written in it, and Someone decides that he should redo it, then prepare that the default feedback is "and fuck it aint needing a redrawn".
Artists comes and Goes, but when regarding the works of the one who created the community and its style and principles, people should have respect. Offcourse if you can amase us by a brilliant rework, then its ok, But I wouldn't suggest someone trying it just out from the blue.
2. Again, This is SHIPBUCKET forum for SHIPBUCKET drawings. Shipbucket drawings are based around common princibles, sets of rules and communally used parts. If you aren't happy or ok with that, then seek some other place to post your drawings.

3. When redoing parts that makes up that communality its up to either communal vote or Adm. preference, what thing gets pass and is accepted to the new partsheets.
4. Constructive critisism. Despite what said above, members commenting others drawings should focus more on guiding and advicing the new artist rather than just mock or critise their work. Some newcomers migth not know what this whole thing is about, so best way to make them learn is to tell with open mind. This goes otherway around to the newcomers to accept that we have sets of rules and guidelines and them should be followed.
5. But never use the critisism as a tool to just boost up your ego. There are really few of the old dudes and founding members that actually have drawn and worked enough to do so, but you rarely see us boosting do you? Never start a critisising someone not using common parts by them doing wrong to not use "YOUR" parts (that are accepted as common). This is not ego-contest, when we submit parts sheets, we "give up" the credit for them and thus the parts become freely usable for all of us.

Gollevainen
Shipbucket administrator

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: My first try in years!Posted: April 20th, 2011, 7:28 pm
May I just offer my suggestion to what, especially my esteemed collegue Portsmouth Bill wrote previously, that there's no answer to how to offer critique. I believe I know a way, a very simple way, which, if we all abide by it, and show due respect, may cause us all to actually get along just royally: be considerate in your language style. Chose carefully your tenor and tone; even in a written language form such differences can easily be detected and lead to acrimonous results, such as has just happened. When posting a critique, attempt to consider it twice, so that it can be duly edited and, maybe tempered in language and style. Try and balance critique with compliments too. I think these small steps would go far in ameliorating the overall, at times, tense atmosphere here. I know we all have our tempers, but for the sake of the community, maybe we all can make that effort?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: