Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: March 19th, 2012, 2:47 pm
Vore Torpedobåde gennem 100 år. A book about Danish torpedo boats from 1870 to 1970.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Similar
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: March 19th, 2012, 6:48 pm
I don't think that's an all-naval book but Winston Churchill's WWII is full of it

[Profile] [Quote]
Matthews
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 3rd, 2012, 9:15 am
I am currently reading Cruisers of World War Two by M J Whitley. It is an encyclopedia, detailed and very well illustrated, contains 288 pages, but I am moving along the book really fast, as it is really exciting and has quite a lot of curios facts.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm
I am reading the illustrated directory of warships from 1860 to present for about the 100th time

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 3rd, 2012, 6:53 pm
John Roberts - *Battlecruisers*

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 3rd, 2012, 7:06 pm
Hm...
Novells:
Getreu bis in der Tod, sieg und untergang der Bismarck, by Will Berthold,
HMS Ullyses, by Alistair Mclean,
several of the Hornblower books(to lazy to list them)
The Loss of the Prince of Wales & the Repulse; Battleship*, by Martin Middlebrook and Patrick Mahoney.
"Data"-books:
The Battleships by Ian Johnston and Rob McAuly,
Jane's Battleships of the 20th century, by Bernard Ireland,
Linkory Vtoroj mirovoj, by S.A Balakin, A.V Dasjian, S.V Patianin, M. Ju. Tokarev, V.N Tjausov,
Örlogsfartyg, Svenska maskindrivna fartyg under tretungad flagg, by Gustaf von Hofsten, Jan Waernberg,
Från Ingegerd till Visby, svenska örlogsfartyg under 140 år, 1860-2000, by Bengt Forssbeck.
Pansarskepp, från John Ericsson till Gustaf V, I don't remember the name of the author though.

*Maybe not a novell, but it's not one of them lexicon-y books with data and blueprints

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 3rd, 2012, 7:45 pm
Working on Singapore Burning by Colin Smith per PB's recommendation. Fantastic book but with school, work and job interviews I haven't had much chance to read it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: April 5th, 2012, 6:12 pm
I still have my library copy, and here hangs a tale. I returned some books to what used to be the nearest Cambridge County Council library; but, as is common now there is no longer a place to return books to a human being; instead, there is a computerised system that's meant to scan returning books (and loans). Of course, it missed one book on the print out, so I waited in line while the only available member of staff was in prolonged discussion with another customer. After about twenty minutes I began to get a bit irked, not helped by the loud noises coming from the infants area, where nowadays folk leave their offspring to go shopping. Fortunately LP saw me going red and told me to go away and browse the SF, so she eventually explained the problem; so the assistant kindly wiped all my loans, including Singapore Burning, which I still had at home.

This illustrates the problem of taking actual humans out of the loop; and now I know how to get free library books. Of course, I will eventually return the book, and watch their faces as they try to grapple with the fact that I no longer have it out on loan. Which brings me to another book, and I know it ain't strictly naval, but wtf, its 'Dunkirk, fight to the last man' by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore; and its as good as the above book; I'm getting ready to get it on extended loan :lol: And what happened to libraries? For thousands of years they were sacred places of reverent quiet, where people enjoyed silence while they browsed or read; but now, they are 'meja' spaces, where you feel as though your in a sports shop. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: August 6th, 2012, 6:02 am
Sorry to comment in an old thread but I am currently reading Neptune's Inferno by James D. Hornfischer
Its about the U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal and is an excellent read

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: what Naval books have you been reading?Posted: August 6th, 2012, 1:10 pm
Trojan wrote:
Sorry to comment in an old thread but I am currently reading Neptune's Inferno by James D. Hornfischer
Its about the U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal and is an excellent read
That's actually on my list of books to read. I'll probably start it after the book I'm currently reading. Hornfischer is a great author. I highly, highly recommend his Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, about the Battle off Samar. One of the best naval history books I've ever read.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: