Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Fox
Post subject: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 8th, 2013, 1:44 pm
normally there is an Introduction board, however after searching for 10 minutes, I concluded that the closest thing is the beginners drawings, so I decided that I will post in off-topic.

anyhow, why post this?
As the name suggest it is to introduce myself to the amazing ship-bucket community, I have been lurking for a few days now and all the art I look at is amazing!

What I do for Occupation?
Student in the Nautical School of Den Helder, aspiring corporal in the (hopefully underwater) fleet of the Royal Netherlands Navy

What my hobby's are
Drawing ships, and sports, I also to game often, especially the newly released Arma 3

My questions to you

Colors, I have drawn 2 ships so far, however when looking at all the ships on the forum and on schipbucket.com I notice that the colors are a certain "palette"
? if that's how you call it, now my colors used on my ships are darker, because that's how I like them more, is this allowed or do I have to change it, they are fictional.

On to my second question, copy and pasting, I don't like it however I just need it on some parts also because my ships are fictional, I credited the persons of the original designs, however the part sheets do not contain names, does this mean it is free to copy and paste? also can I just use anybody stuff? because I'd doubt this.

Bringing me to the 3rd question, is all the equipment on the parts sheet to scale?

if there are more questions from you to me please ask, I will most likely only post 1 or 2 designs for starters, then we'll see.

thank you in advance, and I hope to see more amazing artwork!
-Fox

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 8th, 2013, 2:20 pm
Fox wrote:
Colors, I have drawn 2 ships so far, however when looking at all the ships on the forum and on schipbucket.com I notice that the colors are a certain "palette"? if that's how you call it, now my colors used on my ships are darker, because that's how I like them more, is this allowed or do I have to change it, they are fictional.
There is and then there isn't. If you're going to draw a ship from a certain navy it's best if you use the colours from an existing drawing from that navy but it's not 100% required.
For fictional ships you can do what you like. Want a ship with a pink hull and maroon railings? Go ahead.
Fox wrote:
On to my second question, copy and pasting, I don't like it however I just need it on some parts also because my ships are fictional, I credited the persons of the original designs, however the part sheets do not contain names, does this mean it is free to copy and paste? also can I just use anybody stuff? because I'd doubt this.
Real life parts can be used freely. In this context parts means things like guns, small craft, radars and so on. AU parts as well, though its considered polite to ask the original artist before you do so.
If you want to use sections of a ship you'll have to credit the original artist and once again it's considered polite to ask before you do it.
Fox wrote:
Bringing me to the 3rd question, is all the equipment on the parts sheet to scale?
Mostly, but it's a good idea to check before you use them, especially some of the older pieces.
Missiles and torpedoes aren't though since most of them would be nothing more than a single line of pixels.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 8th, 2013, 2:29 pm
hi, good to see yet another dutchie!
EDIT: and thiel said mostly I wanted to say before I posted :P

apart from black lines, window colour and railing colour, all colours are free to use, but we try to stay close to the real colours of the ships, if we draw real designs. on own designs, you are of course free to use anything you want.

parts are free to use indeed. that is the base of shipbucket ;)
parts count as anything on the parts sheets, doors, props, anchors, weapons, etc.

all parts should be to scale, but some are slightly oversized for detailing purposes or are outdated parts which were drawn to large due to bad sources (or, quite often, both) recently drawn parts are to scale though.

I hope to see your work ;) so please post it in the beginners forum, so we can comment. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Fox
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 8th, 2013, 3:31 pm
Thanks for being so quick!

And sure, I just hope I wont get burned :D
and I'll have to ask around to get permission of course!

Great to see such an active community!

Edit:

I cannot send PM's to other members because I am too new?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 9th, 2013, 4:05 am
hello back :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 9th, 2013, 4:27 am
Hi, I believe new members must have a certain post count before PMs are allowed.

There is no introduction board because normally people introduce themselves in the Beginner forum by posting a drawing. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Fox
Post subject: Re: Just an hello thread!Posted: March 9th, 2013, 8:52 am
Well then, I better start drawing!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: