Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Psilander
Post subject: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 11:06 am
Many of us are making own desings and AU ships. Unfourtantly many of these ships are kitbashed and suffers from poor design. why not increase the demand for realistic designs. For example when designing older cruisers and battleships, why no use the "Springsharp" and present the calculation here aswell along the picture as a basis for discussion. Missileships are harder but they should at least be plausable, correct radars wiith correct weaponsystems, correct hull depth for a VLS etc...

Worklist
All Royal Swedish Navy units from 1522 to present

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 11:12 am
Because some of us, me included, do not have springsharp. If you'd provide a link, that'd be good. Otherwise, I agree. A lot of AU ships are just kitbash.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 12:33 pm
SpringSharp

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 12:51 pm
I like in general the idea of having some sort of standards in AUs but I personally don't want Shipbucket to turn out to be a springsharp forum 2.0 (1.0 being the warshipdiscussion boards). Also, IMO springsharp is ideal for Dreadnougth BB and akin cruisers, but anything more modern, faster and with ligther propulsion than old steam plants gets to be rather difficould to simulate in SS.
That said, I have nothing against using springsharp and there are days when I almost wish I could force some guys to go trough of it.

In the end we are shipdrawing forum, so good penmanship combined with good ships should be the combination we evaluate our products.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 12:59 pm
Then there's the fact that it can't simulate some of the more outré designs, old or not. (Aircraft carriers, tenders etc.)

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 1:09 pm
Thiel wrote:
Then there's the fact that it can't simulate some of the more outré designs, old or not. (Aircraft carriers, tenders etc.)
That would be very cool.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 1:49 pm
I'd prefer not to lock *nix folks (myself included) out of the game. Certainly I wouldn't discourage the use of springsharp though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 2:52 pm
This is a forum for ship drawing, not ship design. While SpringSharp is a useful tool, I don't expect everyone to use it for the aforementioned reasons.

[Profile] [Quote]
Mitchell van Os
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 4:51 pm
Last time i used that program i ended up in a really weird dimension's for a heavy cruiser.
So i stick with my brains and some real life similar ships for comparision.

Embarked on: HNLMS Karel Doorman A833
To do list:
-Zeven Provincien class cruiser
-Joint support ship all sides
-F124 Sachsen class frigate
-F125 Baden-Württemberg class frigate
-Clemencau class aircraft carrier
-Zeven provincien class frigate
-Poolster class AOR
-Amsterdam class AOR
-Minas Gerais aircraft carrier

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Alternate universe and own designs. Some thoughtsPosted: August 31st, 2010, 5:16 pm
If I can remind us all of why this Forum exists, it is to underpin the Shipbucket project, begun by MConrads and co. and now being carried forward by Colosseum and Gollevainen, with some help from moderators and members. That 'project' for myself is the archive of drawings that exist as our 'rasion detre'; and everything else is secondary to that. With respect to psilanders suggestion it is not relevant to the purpose of Shipbucket.

The AU forum is useful and interesting, at least when what is being presented bears some comparison with reality; but it is not our main purpose; to repeat - it is not our main purpose. I would not consider Springsharp as a tool that would serve in drawing real-life ships; but if folk want to complicate the AU section further by including Springsharp - good luck to you, and it may further encourage me to give threads with it a wide berth.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: